What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco parking brake valve fail

woxofswa

Well Known Member
On my first fly-off landing outside my home airport, I press the brakes to set the parking brake and with a wet burst sound my left foot goes to the firewall and has red spray all over it. Cleaning up the mess I determine that the failure is at the bottom of the PB valve where the actuator lever axle pin gets held with the retaining ring. Local FBO can't help me but kindly loan me a fluid bottle to top off my reservoir.
Getting home was a trick because I could only turn right on the ground, but figured that the home ramp was big enough to do a right 270 if I needed to go left. Thankfully, it worked out.

This morning I did one of the most physically challenging things of the entire build which was worm myself under the panel around the stick and prop up on a kidney braced with a rib with both arms intertwined into the cables and rudder pedals, disregarding the sweat and brake fluid seeping into my eyes, to remove the lines from the devil spawned valve and join the cable ends together with spare male male through wall fittings I just happened to have . Luckily with both legs extended scorpion tail style out the door opening I was able to move the one that still had bloodflow as a counterbalance to my twisted spine.
Expecting a friend coming by I get a phone call so I manage to flex my man boob enough to push my phone up high enough to pluck the phone out of my shirt pocket with my teeth and drop it on the footwell floor. The caller ID says Van's, so I contort enough to tap answer with my elbow only to be asked by Van's Chevrolet in Scottsdale if it was a convenient time to discuss my future automotive needs.

...I manage to flex my man boob enough to push my phone up high enough to pluck the phone out of my shirt pocket with my teeth and drop it on the footwell floor...

You owe me a keyboard, and I owe you a beer.:D

Thanks for the laugh.

Back