What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sherwin Williams Zinc-Clad?

CaptainQwyx

I plan to use the Sherwin Williams Wash Primer (P60G2 & R7K44) for general priming of the aluminum parts. While I was picking some up, I asked the guy at the counter for some Zinc Chromate in a rattle-can for small areas and touching up power-coated steel after drilling. He gave me a product called "Zinc-Clad Cold Galvanizing Compound (143-0255)". I don't know much about primers - other than what I've read in Van's manual and through the forums here, so my question -

Is this Zinc-Clad the same stuff as Zinc Chromate (or similar enough to use)? The Zinc-Clad says it's 97% Pure Zinc Dust and used to prime structural steel, wrought iron, etc. in marine, automotive, farming, etc. applications.

It lists as ingredients: Zinc, Propane, Butane, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, V.M. & P. Naptha, and Toluene. No Chromate - but since I don't know what Chromate is - maybe it's the same stuff?

The guy at Sherwin Williams says it's ok for aluminum, and one of the tech guys at Van's says it's probably ok, but I thought I'd throw the question up here to see if anyone has used this stuff or knows more about it.

Thanks,
Jeff Anderson
Denver, CO
RV-7A, just getting started

Typicaly that the stuff us welders use to touch up a weld on galvanized steel. Why risk it? I'd get the right stuff and leave my worrying to important stuff.

Cold Galv

I'm using the P60 G2 primer and I love it. (ps mix it exactly like the instructions say and only mix what your going to spray right away)

The zinc clad your discribing sounds like "cold galvanizing" typically to touch up a galvanized steel part that has been welded, drilled, scratched etc. I don't think I would use it on aluminum. aslo I think the zinc in that is pure zinc and not zinc chromate.

If your having trouble finding green zinc chromate where you live, try a boating store. Or you can always order some from Aircraft screw loose. :)

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to take this stuff back, and I just ordered some cans of Tempo's Zinc Chromate from Aircraft Spruce.

Is there any real difference from the yellow vs. green?

CaptainQwyx said:
I plan to use the Sherwin Williams Wash Primer (P60G2 & R7K44) for general priming of the aluminum parts. While I was picking some up, I asked the guy at the counter for some Zinc Chromate in a rattle-can for small areas and touching up power-coated steel after drilling. He gave me a product called "Zinc-Clad Cold Galvanizing Compound (143-0255)". I don't know much about primers - other than what I've read in Van's manual and through the forums here, so my question -

Is this Zinc-Clad the same stuff as Zinc Chromate (or similar enough to use)? The Zinc-Clad says it's 97% Pure Zinc Dust and used to prime structural steel, wrought iron, etc. in marine, automotive, farming, etc. applications.

It lists as ingredients: Zinc, Propane, Butane, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, V.M. & P. Naptha, and Toluene. No Chromate - but since I don't know what Chromate is - maybe it's the same stuff?

The guy at Sherwin Williams says it's ok for aluminum, and one of the tech guys at Van's says it's probably ok, but I thought I'd throw the question up here to see if anyone has used this stuff or knows more about it.

Thanks,
Jeff Anderson
Denver, CO
RV-7A, just getting started

Jeff,
You already have it figured out. That stuff is for steel or iron. Look for Zinc Chromate or Strontium Chromate in your primer.
Charlie Kuss

Back