What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now this would be worth waiting for...

I agree ...

I like the idea of a modern, fuel efficient, fuel injected engine with increased electrical system capacity for the RV-12.

Wish I had the engineering background and/or a list of logistical items that would need to be overcome and how best to do so to install the Rotax 912 iS Sport installed into an RV-12. Truthfully, I?m very temped to give it a go.

The engine mount locations on both the 912 and 912 iS appear to be identical ? but are they really? Think I read somewhere way back that the engine mounts are provided by Van?s and not Rotax .. so would the existing Van's RV-12 engine mounting system fit on the new injected sport engine without any clearance issues?

Then there is the extra 16 pounds or so to overcome. Is the current engine mounting system over engineered enough to allow for the extra weight on the nose? Although, some of that weight may be able to be shaved some by using one of the new lighter batteries with a charge current limiter and possibly moving the two rather heavy (3.5 lbs) electric fuel pumps further aft of the firewall ? but then that creates a 60 psi high pressure fuel line within the cockpit ? a possible real concern. Likely the need for a larger return line as well.

Looks to me as though the injection rails would require relieving the forward portion of the RV-12?s upper cowl for clearance. Also appears, judging by photos, that there may be an interference issue between the oil tank and the side mounted air cleaner. Also, the extended 1.1 inch height of the 912 iS Sport air box may also present a clearance issue with the upper cowl as well.

Curious if anybody behind the scenes more knowledgeable than myself has seriously looked at the logistics of installing the injected 912 engine into the RV-12? I would be interested in hearing your take on the task. If you don't want to post here, PM me.

The two engines are not even close to interchangeable. It is a complete firewall forward change, not to mention some have found it it won't fit under there existing cowl.

Talk to Don and at Airflow Performance. A few years back he devleoped EFI for the 912 and had very positive results.

The problem with any of the injected 912's is the weight goes up, which is why Van's said they wouldn't use it on an LSA.

Hi Mike,

Roger either missed your question or hasn't been on the forum so I will give you an answer. Hope it's correct.

LSRM-A is Light Sport Repairman with a maintenance rating for airplanes. To get this rating requires attending the 3 week (120 HR) FAA approved course. It differs from the 16 hour course for owners to sign off inspections on their owned aircraft in that a holder of this FAA license can perform all work and sign off annual condition inspection on any E-LSA or S-LSA airplane. They can open up a shop and be reimbursed as Roger has done. This is a post retirement activity of his which he enjoys and he is very good at it. In addition he enjoys helping people. In the CT community he is the go to person for solving maintenance issues.

Rotax IRC is, I think, for an independent Rotax repair center. To obtain this Rotax designation one has to attend an initial series of Rotax courses then keep current with follow on courses every couple of years. There may be other requirements I am not aware of. If a person has this designation from Rotax I think they can do warranty work for them.

Back