What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying my RV-9A in SoCal - Chino to Laughlin, NV

pmccoy

Well Known Member
It's been a couple of months since I got the GoPro out and filmed a flight. So I got in the plane and filmed a quick trip over to Laughlin, NV. I love flying my RV9A. It's such a blast to plan a flight, jump in and go. This was a short one, but plans are in the works for my flight to Airventure later this year. That should make for a good arrival video.

KIFP

I used to love to fly to this airport when I lived in Van Nuys. KIFP stands for International Fun Place. Not kidding. :)

Well done!

Great video and audio! Do you use the GoPro audio cord with an adapter for your headset or do you use a separate digital recorder?

Another Great One

Thanks Peter, I always get a kick out of your videos,
they are just good.
Waiting on the next one!

It surprised me somewhat when the controller terminated Flight Following when you were over 30 miles out, but you did report your destination in sight. In Alabama, we're lucky to see the airport at five miles out.

Very interesting Video. Nice job flying and nice job with the audio and commentary.

Did you "shoot the gap" between the La Verne/Brackett Class D and the Ontario Surface to 5000 Class C on your way up to Cable? I didn't pick up on how you got through there.

Thanks! It sure looks like you have to be on your toes to plan a flight through there. Challenging and fun, right?

Did you "shoot the gap" between the La Verne/Brackett Class D and the Ontario Surface to 5000 Class C on your way up to Cable? I didn't pick up on how you got through there.

Don - flying out of Chino, I am under Ontario Class C outer shelf. I have to stay below 2,700', or be in communication with the tower or SoCal ATC. In this case, I shot the gap between Ontario SFC to 5,000, under Ontario outer ring ≤ 2,700' and clear of the LaVerne/Bracket Class D. Then I called ATC and started flight following.

A normal day flying in SoCal. That's why I am on with Flight Following on just about every flight.

Pete,

I love seeing these videos, so keep them coming! Hopefully, I will be flying soon and maybe Oshkosh will see another pair of RV-9A's??

Back