What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N996S First Flight

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

After 21.5 months of work, a new RV-10. Flys like a dream and lands not quite like a -6A. Thanks to Mike Seager for working with me Sunday to learn how to land these things. They do take a systematic landing approach compared to their smaller versions.

Quick build wings, slo build fues. Interior mostly by Aerosport and Flightline interiors. Interior is painted with Zolatone and makes a very light finish. Panel is 10" and 7" Skyviews, Dynon radio and PAR100EX for second radio and intercom with room for the latest Garmin 650 below the 7" screen later. Homemade plenum. Empty weight was 1624 on the EAA chapters digital scales.

First flight had one issue with a radio and the normal high cylinder temperatures. Second flight the engine was showing good signs of breaking in.

Will fly a lot this summer in an unpainted state, paint can wait til next winter.

first flight

Wow that was a quick completion. I am 20 months in and have just finished the cowling fit up. Avionics and wiring is done. You must have worked on this full time.

good luck flying off the time.

Quick? - I'll say! Think I've been working on the door fit for that long.......

Add my congratulations.

Congrats Bruce. I think there will be a number of new -10's in the skies above Oregon this summer! I hope mine is one of them ;) Enjoy your new baby.

Congrats!

Wow - squashing that little green monster. How about a few more pics of the interior/panel??? Inquiring minds like those juicy details!

Well done. That was a fast build. You must have been very motivated. Keep up the good work and be safe in Phase 1 flight testing. Enjoy!

Congrats

Bruce.
Job well done!!!! Determination and dedication must have fast tracked your build! Enjoy your aircraft and fly safe!

Congrats on a very nice looking ten! Did you do a build log. I'd like to see some of the nice details.

21.5 months assuming this was all by yourself, is not bad. Of course there is a week or two to go in preparing & painting maybe a bit more.

3 of us did our build in 8.5 months, and that was complete, and I worked 5 days a week as well, so I have a good idea what it takes, building after hours and all weekend.

Well done!

Congrats!

Congratulations Bruce. It is crazy to think that you bought the kit 2 days after I did and you are already flying!!! I have some serious catching up to do.

I agree with Mark we should start an RV-10 Armada here in OR.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I used Kitlog Pro for the build. Shows 569 logs and a total of 2187 hours for a 3.84 hour per day expenditure. I don't think I missed any days with a log. The section on interior has only a part of it, most of the rest is in the fuselage section around July 2013. The wheel fairings are complete and ready to go on later.

http://mykitlog.com/diablouser/

Helps a lot to be a repeat offender, have a wife that wants the larger airplane, and to have the project attached to your house. I did have help on four or five occasions to buck rivets. Aside for that, I did it myself (aside from Aerosports, Flightline Interior, Stein who did my intercom wires) Did some things like use the small head rivets to all the nutplates and had a dedicated countersink. Drywall mud for pinhole filler. Also being able to walk next door or the next taxiway and beg parts and tools or jump in the -6A and fly to Vans saved a lot of time.

Having painted three airplanes and a Reno Super Sports winner, I realize the paint job will be most of next winter and a fair number of pounds

A great time saver is VAF. Being able to research others problems and solutions can prevent long trips down the wrong road. It can also get you on a long road, like the McMaster door seals. It did seem like those would never end, but the results are wonderful.

Congrats on flying, and the speedy quick build. I will have to have a look at your log to see what I'm in for. Just ordered the finish kit and I'm at the 18month mark...don't think I'll be done as quick as you. I read on Tim Olson's site that he estimated the half-way point was trimming the windshield, but he hadn't done his wiring/panel at that time, whereas mine is close to done. Good motivation to see guys finish and start flying!

==dave==

Back