What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line support

Veetail88

Well Known Member
I have to support the fuel line from the mechanical pump to the horizontal fuel servo and I cannot see any good attach points to anchor it to.

It is currently touching the motor mount and I definitely don't want it doing that! It needs to move entirely with the motor.

How did you attach/route yours?

Thanks for the help.

344v0k5.jpg

adel clamp around the mount bolted to another clamp around the hose. you may need to whip up a piece of aluminium that has a rotation in it depending on how the hose and mount are aligned.

It looks like a 45* fitting at the fuel pump outlet coupled to a straight fitting hose would work nicely.

45 degree?

Slightly off topic but do they make a 45 degree fitting with a 1/8 npt port for fuel pressure transducer line?

Slightly off topic but do they make a 45 degree fitting with a 1/8 npt port for fuel pressure transducer line?

Don't know but there is a std fuel pump fitting that has female 1/4" NPT to allow a 45* -6 on the run and female 1/8" NPT "T" for a -3 fitting.

I've also TIG welded SS fittings to get fuel pressure from a 45* fitting.

I would not tie the this line to the mount; too much relative motion between the mount and not enough distance from the pump to the mount - ie, too close coupled.

Fitting....

I haven't been able to source a fitting for my fuel pump with a 45 degree AND a pressure port. It would make the fuel line clear the mount I believe. Do you have a source?:confused:

I haven't been able to source a fitting for my fuel pump with a 45 degree AND a pressure port. It would make the fuel line clear the mount I believe. Do you have a source?:confused:

I may have a spare in my box of fittings at the airport; give me a day or two to check. The fitting is male straight thread with 1/4" female NPT to use a std steel 45* for servo fuel and a female 1/8" NPT on the T for fuel pressure. Mine are stainless and got them ~30 years ago, so aging brain cells prevent me from remembering where in the world I found 'em :D

deek

Similar

I have a similar setup except that I ran the fuel line under the mount. I inserted an AN3 bolt through the brace of the mixture control cable bracket located midway along the left side of the sump. With a standoff attached to an adel clamp on the hose, the line is displaced away from the mount as well as the exhaust. I'm reluctant to clamp the line in any way to the mount.

J. Baker
RV8 FFwd

Jesse, try using a 90 degree pump fitting and routing up over the mount. Fixate with two Adel clamps on the sump bolts, fore and aft. This keeps the line as far inboard as possible, away from the exhaust headers and the hot air from the cylinder heads.

w2ohhd.jpg

Here is how I did in RV-7

I used one Adel clamp on the air inlet pipe, the fuel hose cleared pipes and engine mount OK. I may need add another clamp after engine test run if the hose really flex that much in vibration.

2qm2ooy.jpg

2hwlp2a.jpg

Ditto

Adel around the inlet pipe connected to an adel around the fuel hose here too.

If you rotate those two adels alittle, you'll find a nice position where the fuel hose will clear both exhaust pipes and also the engine mount.

Pictures of my install... 90 degree fitting at fuel pump, adel clamps on inlet tubes. Hose is as far away from exhaust as possible, and exhaust has heat shields in strategic locations.

20080517_fuel_hose1.jpg
20080517_fuel_hose2.jpg

I would have liked to attach it to the sump bolts as Dan suggested, but the mixture cable is in the way. In retrospect it might have been possible to fabricate some kind of standoff bracket to make it all work. I should have thought of that when I had the cylinders off!

mcb

Back