What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

full day of flying

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We headed to the airport at about 1015 this morning to get fuel. Launched on an IFR flight plan to shoot instrument approaches in beautiful VFR weather. 3 into Lago Vista, one into Georgetown. It sounded like we were training a new Austin Approach controller as part of our exercise. Non-smooth weather like today provides extra training value. In total, we shot four approaches today between us. We 'have' shot about 10 in one day. Talk about a long day. Anyway, the final approach was into Georgetown with a circle to land. As Tanya chocked the airplane in front of our 'other' hangar, I ran to the head.
By now it is approaching 1pm. I grabbed our packed lunch out of the back of the airplane and Tanya and I scarfed down a sandwich during Falcon's brief of our 4 ship departure headed to McGregor for more formation practice. A little wing exercise along the way (Cookie's leg). Land up the road at McGregor to meet up with three more of Falcon Flight 'north'. Briefed up a 7-ship practice for the 50-ship in Phoenix next weekend. I hopped in Taco's RV7A as I will be flying it for the show. This was all about exercise for me to fine tune myself into the fixed pitch prop. What a silly contraption! In reality, my CS prop / 160hp is actually a very close match to his fixed pitch / 180hp. Amazingly similar in real formation exercise.
Flew the mission and landed back at McGregor for me to hop back out of Taco's airplane and back into ours. Launched Scoot Flight as a 2-ship and immediately cleared Taco back off northbound while we continued in smooth air at 6500' southbound. An overhead back at home at our airpark and you can stick a fork in us. About 1600 now. Time for beer and pizza. Very much looking forward to the big event next weekend in Phoenix. That is a day of RV flying, and we didn't even really go anywhere.

2-22-flight.PNG

I will bite

Full Day of Flying in non RV country.

I headed to the airport at about 0615 this morning. Launched to on a no plan flight plan to shoot nothing in this beautiful VFR weather. I picked up an ATC as a part of my exercise. Non-smooth weather like today provides extra training value. For him. In total he shot four approaches all himself. At Bear Mountain ski resort he climbed and glided all four slopes. Talk about a long day. Final approach to Slatington PA was a circle to land. It's approaching 9 am we quickly run to a nearby cafe for breakfast. I have to be at the hangar at 1100 by prior commitment.

On my way back I made an attempt to join White Geese Flight unbriefed. The 30+ members flock in pure arrow was slow and when I tried to join they lost the formation and deviated losing altitude. I tried to rejoin no joy the formation broke up and went under 1000'. This was all about exercise for me to fine tune myself into the fixed pitch prop.

Straightened the hangar and went up second time. Launched one ship Russian formation and never saw smooth air. It's 1925 now time for wine and cheese. You can stick a fork in me. Very much looking forward to the big event next weekend in Phoenix. That is a day of RV flying, and I didn't even really go anywhere.

Last edited:
Me too! No google map to accompany it (left sd cards in airplane), but 1 biscuit and gravy breakfast, 8 airports and never further than 85 miles from home with several friends made for a great Sat!

50 ship in Phoenix?

We headed to the airport at about 1015 this morning to get fuel. Launched on an IFR flight plan to shoot instrument approaches in beautiful VFR weather. 3 into Lago Vista, one into Georgetown. It sounded like we were training a new Austin Approach controller as part of our exercise. Non-smooth weather like today provides extra training value. In total, we shot four approaches today between us. We 'have' shot about 10 in one day. Talk about a long day. Anyway, the final approach was into Georgetown with a circle to land. As Tanya chocked the airplane in front of our 'other' hangar, I ran to the head.
By now it is approaching 1pm. I grabbed our packed lunch out of the back of the airplane and Tanya and I scarfed down a sandwich during Falcon's brief of our 4 ship departure headed to McGregor for more formation practice. A little wing exercise along the way (Cookie's leg). Land up the road at McGregor to meet up with three more of Falcon Flight 'north'. Briefed up a 7-ship practice for the 50-ship in Phoenix next weekend. I hopped in Taco's RV7A as I will be flying it for the show. This was all about exercise for me to fine tune myself into the fixed pitch prop. What a silly contraption! In reality, my CS prop / 160hp is actually a very close match to his fixed pitch / 180hp. Amazingly similar in real formation exercise.
Flew the mission and landed back at McGregor for me to hop back out of Taco's airplane and back into ours. Launched Scoot Flight as a 2-ship and immediately cleared Taco back off northbound while we continued in smooth air at 6500' southbound. An overhead back at home at our airpark and you can stick a fork in us. About 1600 now. Time for beer and pizza. Very much looking forward to the big event next weekend in Phoenix.

What is the 50 ship event in Phoenix? You guys should fly by the Cactus Flyin in Casa Grande.

From Rosie: Friday, March 1st, 50+ RVs are converging on Goodyear (KGYR) airport in Phoenix for two practices Saturday followed by a (Sunday) 50-ship RV formation over NASCAR Phoenix in honor of the Raceway's 50th year anniversary of racing :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday flight

Saturday morning,, February 22, 2014
No plan,,,, wandered in to shop. Worked on RV14 empennage
New RV8 customer flew in from Norman, OK visited for a couple of hours. He flew home.

Tom called and said he and Paul were hanging out at the farm,, fly up if you want to.
Pushed 'Shooter' exp Super Cub, out of hanger right past The 'Borrowed Horse' Flew to Schad's Farm strip. Got the AR15 out of the baggage and shot a bunch of rounds at a rifle target. Then changed to the pistol range. Shot the 9mm til I ran out of bullets.
Tom shot the targets,, I just managed to scare them a little.
Put together a new clay pigeon launcher I bought a few weeks ago. Had Previously left it there in Schad's hanger.

Paul grilled some deer meat and opened a can of Bush beans ....
Almost dark,,, flew home to Hicks T67 One hour on the hobbs,,, good day.
May fly the RV8 today

Last edited:
I had a full day too

Picked up my new -8 in Nantucket and flew back to Atlanta. Brutal flight. Beat my brains out on the way. 5 hours of agony. Stopped for fuel and FREAKED when I was oil literally pouring out of the back of the airplane. Threw a rod? But it was running like a top! Turns our the turbulence was so bad it popped the top off a can of smoke oil in the back baggage compartment. It's everywhere! New carpet set needed for sure :eek:

Picked up my new -8 in Nantucket and flew back to Atlanta. Brutal flight. Beat my brains out on the way. 5 hours of agony. Stopped for fuel and FREAKED when I was oil literally pouring out of the back of the airplane. Threw a rod? But it was running like a top! Turns our the turbulence was so bad it popped the top off a can of smoke oil in the back baggage compartment. It's everywhere! New carpet set needed for sure :eek:

There once was a man who flew an -8 back from Nantucket
He tried to clean the carpet but said.......

"I don't like this color anyway, I'll buy some new carpet"

On Saturday at 0830 I met Don (forget last name) to give him his first flight in an RV. He is building a 9A and is actually pretty far along. The weather was perfect and we had a glass smooth flight. We even spotted a big rig on fire on the interstate on-ramp. :eek: Don flew about half the time and marveled at the viz out the canopy and the responsiveness of the controls. He made the right decision in building an RV. :)

Bruce,

Don is my hangar neighbor. He told me all about his ride wirth you later on Saturday when we were both working. I think he's happy with his decision to build a 9A. Now if we can talk him into a tailwheel. That's two at MCN you've given the grin to...

On Saturday at 0830 I met Don (forget last name) to give him his first flight in an RV. He is building a 9A and is actually pretty far along. The weather was perfect and we had a glass smooth flight. We even spotted a big rig on fire on the interstate on-ramp. :eek: Don flew about half the time and marveled at the viz out the canopy and the responsiveness of the controls. He made the right decision in building an RV. :)

Back