What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

prop governor MT or HZ

stamper

Well Known Member
Has there been a preference on the governor used on the rv10. It seems to me that either the MT or the HZ will work but was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the pro or cons to each or is it simply the prop I chose that determines the governor.

I believe either governer works with either prop. Haven't heard any plus or minuses on either manufacturer.

VANS supply the MT version.

I rcvd the MT with my kit, which Vans exchanged for the Hartzell. No real reason other than my prop was the Hartzell. If you do get the Hartzell you also need to order the longer lever arm.

longer lever

Where do you get the longer lever? Is there a part number? I need one.

Thanks.
Vic

Bill mentioned the part number, just give Hartzell a call. If I remember correctly is was about $28 plus shipping.

bob

Does Van's have it? I couldn't find it listed.
Unfortunately, they don't...... At least to my knowledge.

This falls into the Van's strategy of only stocking one sku. So you have to hear about the requirement to purchase the arm via the grapevine, then call Hartzell to obtain the part. Wouldn't it be nice if they simply stuck a piece a paper that states you may need to purchase this additional part? Or better yet, provide the part up front so we aren't buying two arms? Granted this part won't break the bank, but there are some engine issues that do. This is the one area in which I firmly believe that Van's could add some value to their process and improve customer satisfaction.

Both work. In my opinion the Hartzell is easier to build the baffling around.

Mark,
Care to elaborate on this? I got the MT gov with my kit.
From operational/functional point of view, according to VANS website both governors work well with both prop types??
Thanks.
Johan

Mark,
Care to elaborate on this? I got the MT gov with my kit.
From operational/functional point of view, according to VANS website both governors work well with both prop types??
Thanks.
Johan

Slightly smaller and more uniform shape, so it's easier to trim baffle around. Yes, both governors work. You will get as many opinions as people you ask on which one works better. I honestly can't tell you which one is better. I have a Hartzell.

Governor for narrow deck vs wide deck

I understand there is different gearing for the io540 depending on narrow vs wide deck. Anyone know if the Vans governor is right for narrow deck (I have a C4B5 engine).

Back