What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto prop info

AX-O

Well Known Member
All,
I spoke with Nicole and Craig Catto last week regarding prop pitch. I found out some information that is interesting and informative, and figured someone else could benefit from it.

-Craig is continuing his efforts to optimize/fine tune the latest gen blades. I don?t think that will ever change.

-They are also doing some fine tuning on their nickel leading edge design.

- When they suggest a pitch, they choose a middle of the road approach. If you tell them that you have a slick plane, or have personal flight test data, they can adjust for that.

-Even though they assign a pitch number from blade to blade. It does not mean that the actual pitch is the same for those two particular blades. That is because the way they measured pitch changes due to the blade design changes. So my current pitch number won?t necessarily be the same pitch number I would use on the next prop, however the performance would be comparable. They have data on a clip board that allows them to compare performance and give you the best fit. So the moral of the story here is DON?T use my flight test pitch numbers and expect my performance, let them tell you what would work on your set up.

Hope that helps someone out there. And no, I don?t work for Catto props. I just enjoy performing flight test and learning about cool stuff.

Very consistent with my experience two weeks ago. I put in RV-8, Aerosport 0-360 carb, dual p-mag and got out this:

3-Bladed Glass/Carbon Composite Propeller for RV-8 68" Diameter x 76" Pitch
AEROSPORT 0-360 180HP@2700RPM
Top Speed at Target RPM- 204-208mph@2750rpm
4.375" Finished Propeller Thickness
7" Diameter Prop Flange
SAE-2 Pattern, 1/2" Bolts and 3/4" Lugs
Color: White W/ Red Crescent Tips

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one about two weeks ago. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to Craig and it is very apparent he knows a great deal about what he is doing. I am waiting for the "new process" nickel leading edge so will have to wait about a month longer than usual.

The only down side is that Van's doesn't make the 12" spinner any more. Aircraft Spruce does sell one, but I'm not thrilled with it. It looks like my best bet is to use the 12" spinner that Glasair makes for the Glastar.

Catto 12" spinner

In an email I got from Craig just over two weeks ago, he said they would be making their own 12" carbon spinners in about 6 months time, to fill the void. I'm sure they will be top notch.

Unfortunately he couldn't help with my request for a 15" spinner to suit a Catto prop and my Showplanes RV-8 cowl. He did say he'd keep a look out.

I will build on hoping something turns up, but it would be nice to get my order in the Catto queue.

Paul.

I (or Craig) was lucky in my case. I had a flying RV-8 and was able to use a standard test methodology. I gave these numbers to Craig along with the details of my airplane, engine, and preferred type of flying.

This allowed him to tune my propeller within his standard data chart.

You can no go wrong with a Catto prop.

If it never gets installed on an aircraft, it make a great piece of art for a den or man cave. :)

You can no go wrong with a Catto prop.

If it never gets installed on an aircraft, it make a great piece of art for a den or man cave. :)

As a matter of fact, I have an old (but beautiful) prop from Craig that is just sitting in the hangar, waiting on a ceiling fan motor to become a permanent conversation piece in my office! Next time I need a fixed pitch prop on an airplane - I'm calling Craig!

Back