What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Banana Puddin', First flight

Stewie

Well Known Member
N986BP “Banana Puddin’” made her first flight June 9 (finally getting around to posting this!) under the skilled test-piloting of Tom Porta (CFI, RV-8 driver Reno-Stead). The flight was short due to a faulty low-voltage warning and mis-plumbed ASI, but Tom greased a perfect landing. After addressing the voltage and ASI, I took her up June 20 after graduating Mike Seager’s transition course. She flies straight and fast, powered by an IO-320 w/ Plasma III EI. Panel is a 7” Skyview with SL30, powered by VP-X with backup steam gauge ASI/compass. The plane is IFR certified even though the pilot is not (yet). Empty weight is 915lbs – I worked hard to keep her light. She is very forgiving of my often ham-fisted landings (as evidenced by the video).
Build time to first flight was 3600 shop-hours and 900 study-hours (mostly VAF – thanks DR!) over 20 months, and another 400 shop hours tweaking and prepping for paint. I owe an immense debt of gratitude to the VAF forums as well as the residents of Farias Wheel Airport (NV33). This was my first airplane, and I loved every minute of it. I plan to begin building a composite racer of my own design shortly.
Marc Ausman at Vertical Power and Tom Swearengen at TSFlightlines both went beyond the call of duty. I’ve also had good customer support from Dynon, Plane Power, Catto Propellers, Saber Mfr, and of course Vans.
I made a short video for family and friends who wonder where I disappeared to the last 2 years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0f0qE6HOo
“Banana Puddin” by Southern Culture on the Skids inspired the name of the plane and the paint job/tail art.
Again, many thanks to all the VAF’rs who have supported me via email, phone and in person – you truly make the world a better place when you share your knowledge.
Eric

Last edited:
Wow! 4500 hours over 20 months works out to more than 50 hours per week. That's impressive, as is the end result.

WOW!

I just can say WOW! This RV-4 looks awesome! ... and it's kept light too.
Good workmanship. I wish I was there.

There was a pic in the video, that shows a foam core for a duct molding. What is it for? I'm just curious.

You're my hero. I think I might've teared up a bit during the video....

Great job! Beautiful airplane!

Nicely done Eric! I have a few air to air photos for ya! BP is a beautiful machine!!

Cheers,
Bob

Very well done!!

Hi,

I am impressed with everything..... especially the finished weight...... very well done. I really love how the wheel fairings fitted themselves in flight I wish my 4 would do that!!

VERY NICE!!!

WOW! absolutely beautiful! My -3 was nicknamed "nanner puddin" for a while but the color was different, now she looks like a P-51. Oh what a paint job will do! Looks like she was well thought out! Love everything about it!
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
Awesome , rv love the paint and polish combo , one quick question how do yo polish close to the paint , do you tape over the paint side , and do by hand , wow this looks so awesome , what a combo , wanna sell it , haha for real

That's a great color of Yellow. It's a hard color to get the tone right and you nailed it. Great workmanship too. That's one fine airplane.

Yup - beautiful airplane up close and personal, as well as in the pictures. Eric will be describing his polishing techniques in an upcoming Kitplanes article.

Great job; seat back ok?

Congrats on a beautiful ship. Great video too.

I note what appear to be lightening holes in your seat back. I assume you made whatever calculations might be needed to satisfy yourself it will not fail when pulling positive Gs. I spoke with Ken at Van's last year and he mentioned that as long as the 4's seat back is built in accordance with the plans there is no problem but some builders had been found to be using thinner than specified material, which was frowned on as it raised the possibility of the seat failing under positive G load.

VAF2_zps19795222.jpg
[/URL]

What is in the top of the V-tail?

After watching the video, that bulge in the top of the V-tail must be the camera. Nice job!

Bevan

Thanks!

Had some frustrations in the shop today. Thanks for the pick-me-up. Beautiful bird and OUTstanding video. :)

Thanks everyone

I appreciate everyone's comments. For those still bucking rivets, push on!

To answer the questions posted so far:
1. Yes, the Vtail bulb is for a DriftHD camera. I install a nose plug when the camera is not installed.
2. The foam core duct was an exit header for the oil cooler, as a proper header can make a huge difference in efficiency (see Kuchemann) and I was concerned about whether my S&W7 row could handle the heat (this engine dyno'd 192 HP at Lycon). I have Vans oil cooler shutter and as it turns out, it is mostly shut, even in the summer, so I guess it works well.
3. Lightening holes in seat: I used a 1/8" Finnish ply backing board when I made the foam cores for my seats, so I feel comfortable with the load transfer.
4. I think the color is Monster Yellow by Acroglo. I'm in the middle of relocating my shop and don't have my receipts right now.
5. Polish: I polished at least 3 inches past all of my intended masking lines. Effective polishing takes a fairly aggressive grit and lots of pressure normal to the surface for the initial cut, and I believe you would quickly wear through masking and destroy your paint if you polish after painting. Now that I've established the initial polish, future polish will be with less aggressive grades of polish, and that in combination with masking tape should work out OK.
6. Rear stick is carbon (same OD as original steel stick). The batman cap is actually a 19mm ear plug. You can get these from online jewelery stores for a few bucks, lots of cool designs.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Last edited:
It really is a beautiful airplane…even better in person! Its been getting loads of compliments from the builders at Stead! Well-earned high praise!

I loved the video too…especially the big ol' RV Grin after the roll!

Here are those air to air shots I promised Eric. Uncropped phone photos, but still purty! Let's go get some more…maybe over Tahoe..when we hook up!

Cheers,
Bob

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

And Rocket Six is enjoying having a Lil' Bro too! It stares at BP's tail art all day?it's my favorite tail art ever too! :D

IMG_0551.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Nice pics Bob, thank you!

I'm honored to have Bob taking care of BP during my relocation.

All you guys with your gorgeous RV's make me feel bad! Simple interior, Great polish, nice paint, good tail art, sweet looking Catto. What else can I say...Great looking plane! Be proud, she's beautiful.

Back