What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surgeries

Allan Stern

Well Known Member
I am two weeks out from having my Mitral valve replaced Jan 6, 2014 and feeling like a mule has kicked me the few days after surgery. Today I feel great still a little sore in my ribs. Doctor did minimally invasive procedure. Was not having major problems and did this as a pro active procedure so I would have a long healthy retirement. Decided to have operation in Winter when not flying as much and work toward getting medical back for Spring. Will see how complicated this will be.

RV8A 125 hours
2014 paid

Allan,
I am sure I speak for the group, hope your recovery is speedy and you are able in the future to get back to what you enjoy. Blessings
Jack

Allan, hope you get back to flying soon------and that the retirement goes completely awesome for you.

Hi Allan, I had my mitral valve replaced almost five years ago. Take it day by day and you'll soon have your health back. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Hope you

get back to flying, soon. The -8A needs to know it is still loved.

Glad you are doing well!

Ron Simonton

Allen, keep you're spirit high, you should be able to fly again. Had my aortic valve replaced 14 years ago with a mechanical valve and all is going great. Not sure if you checked into what you need to do to get a medical back but if not and you have a mechanical valve let us know and I will post the aeromedical requirments for a single mechanical valve replacement.

Two things right off the bat...Get copies of every report pertaining to your heart issues and replacement so you can submit those with your initial request to OK City. Trying to get them after they are sent to a record storage facility will be expensive and time consuming. Second.....hope you get better real soon.

Hi Allan; we communicated a couple of years ago when you were selling your 6A. Mike and Don have offered very good advice. I also had my mitral valve replaced in Oct 2012; nothing proactive or precautionary in my case - it was a full blown emergency for me. Most of the requirements for regaining your medical are very similar between the US and Canada, and I got mine back in 6 months; would have been less if my cardiologist was a bit quicker writing and sending reports! The main concern the authorities have with regard to restoring the medical is the risk of stroke. If you have a bioprosthetic (tissue) valve, you probably won't have any significantly elevated risk of stroke, and if you have a mechanical valve, stroke risk is reduced to acceptable levels with anticoagulation (warfarin/coumadin). Look into the CHADS II scale and the hemmor2hage scale (I think I spelled that right). The 2 scales assess your risk of thromboembolism (clot) and bleeding type strokes respectively. In Canada you need to have a 2% per year or less risk of each of these types of event to get your medical back. I understand the standards are similar in the US.

Best wishes for your recovery, and feel free to PM me if you want to converse directly or have any questions I might be able to help with.

Allan
You have everything to look forward to now that your heart has been rebored.
On ward and upward.
John

Allan,

I hope your back up in the air soon. Cloud 9 restaurant sure has some good food. If you need anything or want to go up let me know.

Back