What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dayton NV day trip

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Motivated by Rosie's writeup about visiting Paul and Louise in Dayton, I decided Laura and I needed to fly over and say hi to them also.

Laura has been gone to Hawaii for 5 months with her work, and this is the first flight since she has been home-----so we needed to do more than just a simple "go to lunch" flight.

Here we are at 11.5k going over the hills west of Lake Tahoe, 30+mph winds from our 10:00 made for a bit of a bumpy ride.

1521812_461976567241946_2064868296_n.jpg

Not a lot of snow in the sierras, but most of the smaller lakes frozen over.

1535659_461976563908613_55663844_n.jpg

Made it:D

P1040038.JPG

Laura had never seen Tsam in person, so she got the grand tour........

P1040036.JPG

Louise had never been in a flying RV 10, so I gave her the quick intro to the plane, and after the house tour, and lunch at a local Mexican restaurant, took her up to fly the 10. Laura got in the back of Paul's RV 8, "Val", and got followed us to shoot some photos.

Louise flew pretty much the whole time, I just did T/O and landing------insurance only covers me---------and she did a great job of it. We had briefed with Paul and Laura before we left, so getting some nice photos was pretty easy-----------I suspect P & L have done this before;)

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

Last edited:
Dayton trip part 2

One photo that I did not get :mad: was the flight home-------the west side of the Sierras in 62 mph tailwind------------our ground speed was 240:D:D, but the leeward turbulence was pretty severe, so I chose to slow the airspeed down a bunch, dont want to overstress the airframe, and I hate the rough ride.

Thanks Paul and Louise, wonderful home you have, and a hangar to die for:D

Pound them rivets folks.......................

We were glad to have you two come and visit Mike - and it is always fun flying off the wing of a heavy bomber.... ;)

Sounds like a great wind on the return flight!

Paul

Hey Mike. Welcome to VAF :D:D Just had to throw that at ya!

Great report and photos. Nice to know that other parts of the country have flying weather besides Florida (Yeah, I know these planes fly below 50 * .... I just don't anymore)

Back