What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bankstown to Goolwa

newt

Well Known Member
In October, I took VH-SOL on a 1400km trip from Sydney (Bankstown YSBK) to near Adelaide (Goolwa YGWA) to have its annual inspection carried out.

Since travelling in an RV with an empty seat is a crime punishable by guilt, I asked my Twitter friends whether any of them would like to come. John-Paul jumped first, so off we went.

John-Paul had never travelled in a plane smaller than a B737, and had no reason to visit Adelaide other than to come along for the ride. Pre-departure briefing: "We won't be turning back, so if you get part way through the trip and don't like it we'll land somewhere where you can take the bus home." :D

So you can probably imagine the sense of relief I felt when the appointed day arrived and the weather forecast for the entire trip was for smooth, calm, sunny conditions. Couldn't have asked for a better day.

John-Paul became "the map guy," assisting with navigation, pointing out landmarks in the distance and referencing them against bearings and markings on the charts. When he wasn't doing that, he snapped photos and took short videos -- enough to produce the YouTube movie here:

http://youtu.be/bS4z0MpLo5M

Because John-Paul was a first-timer, I broke the trip up into shortish legs.

We tracked from Bankstown to Mittagong, then Goulburn, then direct to Wagga-Wagga (YSWG) for a leg-stretch and a coffee.

Then we boarded and departed Wagga-Wagga direct for Swan Hill (YSWH), our refuelling stop.

Finally, Swan Hill to Goolwa via Meningie and the Murray River Mouth.

Three legs of approximately 90 minutes each, with one stop for fuel. Breakfast in Sydney, lunch in Swan Hill, afternoon tea in Adelaide 1400 kilometres away: A third of the continent in one day without even trying hard. Amazing li'l machines, aren't they?

- mark

hey Mark

Good work, but what is all this LEFT of C/L business boy???

I know.......I did do it once too. Get your act together would ya ;)

Say goody to Jake and co in SA. Also the guys at Strathalbyn and if you go to YPPF like Andrew Denyer. :)

At Riverina? Yeah, I hardly get over there since I moved to Sydney.

Goolwa is where Lynden Tretheway is based. RV maintenance dude, has been working with experimental builders for years and has built up quite a reputation. I'll keep using him for my annuals for as long as my family is prepared to pick me up when I arrive :)

- mark

Nice, Mark!

Saw the thread title, and it took my cell-reduced brain five seconds to ask 'why do I know Bankstown?' Then it came to me: best wine tasting trip ever! Visited an American pilot friend in Sydney in 1998 that did the paperwork shuffle to get qualified to fly down under, so he took my family in a 182 from Bankstown to Cessnock where we hired a car and did a multi-stop tasting tour. Bought four cases of Hunter Valley's finest (to us, anyway) and put them in the 182, for further forwarding to the states as checked baggage on Quantas. Every bottle made it back in nothing more than the cardboard case! One of our greatest 'flying trip' stories for sure. :D

That's a normal weekend around here, catmandu :)

You should have gone to Mudgee in the north west. A quick jump over the Blue Mountains, then three or four wineries within walking distance of the airport!

- mark

Great Place Names

Thanks for posting, Mark

Australia has great place names. I like ?Goolwa,? ?Mudgee,? ?Nowhere Else,? ?Mount Buggery,? ?Jimcumbilly,? ?Woolloomoolo,? and ?Wonglepong;? several of them Aboriginal-based. Fun names!

Not only that, Bill, but we also pronounce "Melbourne" and "Brisbane" correctly :)

- mark

Back