What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Elevator damage

bjohnson1234

Well Known Member
I got some small damage on my elevator from a hangar accident and I'm trying to figure out how to repair it. It's on the back left corner of the right elevator. I believe most of the cracking is just paint except for the very corner. Tomorrow I'm going to remove some more paint and check with some penetrating dye. Can I drill it and patch it? Grind it down? Does it need to be reskinned?

http://imgur.com/a/7eeql/

It looks like the cracking - the big piece is just the epoxy coating or paint. Removing a bit more paint will tell the story. I would worry less about the problems on the end there than checking the jam nuts and damage to the spar. Just be very careful in checking that all the stress points are checked by you and at least another person.

It looks like the cracking - the big piece is just the epoxy coating or paint. Removing a bit more paint will tell the story. I would worry less about the problems on the end there than checking the jam nuts and damage to the spar. Just be very careful in checking that all the stress points are checked by you and at least another person.

Yep, will definitely do a thorough check for damage to the spar and any other structural components in the elevator, but even if everything else is fine I still have to deal with the small tear on the edge or it will no doubt get worse over time.

You may be able to make a rib that you could put in with pop rivets. Then epoxy over it with a little glass cloth and finish the edge of the elevator off. You would have to do the other side too, but it would look nice and the increase strength provided by a rib and the glass will counter the small tear.

Like all modifications, you will pick up at least 2 mph! haha!

I am at DVT, can possibly help. Contact info would be helpful. Larry 602-770-7561

The word back from Vans is to file it down and straighten it as much as possible. I've already straightened it out as much as I can. Larry, if you have the proper tools to file it down I'll give you a call, otherwise I'm going to take it down to a friend in Coolidge and fix it there.

Back