What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Software Update Version 8.5 Released

• Improved flight director integration with third-party external autopilot.

Flew it yesterday and I noticed the Flight Director (FD)/External AutoPilot (AP) improvements...

I just noticed it this morning and I don't see it posted anywhere else. So for the G3X folks, looks like a pretty substantial update:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4451#Instruct

One of the more important updates is included in the GDL 39/39R V2.90 software.

Certified ADS-B receivers meeting TSO-C195a are required by section 2.2.4.1.2 of DO-317A to remove traffic targets which report a System Design Assurance (SDA) of less than 1. Previous GDL 39/39R software versions followed this guidance even though the GDL 39/39R is non-certified and isn't necessarily required to.

The V2.90 software included in this release no longer removes traffic targets with an SDA of less than 1, and now passes these traffic targets to the G3X displays for viewing.

Thanks,
Steve

How do I get this update for the GDL with my 696?

Update: Blue toothed using Garmin Pilot to the GDL, updated the unit easy breezy!

Last edited:
update

Just went out and checked mine with Garmin Pilot app. Says it has current firmware installed. My GDL-39 is about a year old so I guess the update is for use with the G3X only.

Just went out and checked mine with Garmin Pilot app. Says it has current firmware installed. My GDL-39 is about a year old so I guess the update is for use with the G3X only.

It gives you the software version on the pilot app, it probably updated automatically.

Frustrated! :mad:

I just can't seem to figure out how to update this software.

I down load it like the site says and it shows the 10MB or so file, but won't upload to my g3X.

I had 2 SD cards. 1 with the G3X extractor software and 1 without. Just doesn't load...

Any advice?

John,

Until Steve or someone else from Garmin responds, here's what I do:

1. Download the ver. 8.5 file to your desktop per the instructions.
2. Double-click the file and the Wizard should open that gets the software to your SD card. The SD card should be freshly formatted with no other software on it, at least 2 Gig.
3. In the aircraft turn on your G3X units and related LRUs. Insert the SD card into the first G3X screen. You should get a prompt that asks if you want to load ver. 8.5. Push the Enter button. The screen will go blank then begin loading the software, takes about a minute. After it reboots, you will get confirmation that you now have version 8.5.
4. Repeat for all the G3X screens.
5. After updating, I went into the Config mode on the PFD where I could verify all of the updated software versions for the affected components.

All pretty straight forward. Hope this helps.

Thanks Pat.

I will try 2 things:

1 - I will format the card. I just downloaded it to the czrd I always use.

2 - if that doesnt work I see you are in Vero, so I can always fly over and have you teach me! ;)

Its got to be that I have the old update on that card and it needs to be formatted!

Thanks for the advice,

Thanks, Pat - I couldn't have said it better!

John, it sounds like you might be downloading the G3X software executable to the SD card. As explained above, you need to download this to your Windows computer, then execute and it will format the SD card and create the loader card that you use to install the software into the displays.

Thanks,
Steve

Format the SD card - Check
Install software - Check
Will I remember next time - :confused:

Thanks Guys!

I'll drop you a PM Pat when I can fly over.

...tell me more

The new 8.5 software says it includes:
  • improved flight director integration with third-party external autopilot.
Since the manual is not out and the airplane is in the hangar, hiding in sub-zero temps, can you give me an idea of what has changed? Would love to hear more on this one.

The new 8.5 software says it includes:
  • improved flight director integration with third-party external autopilot.
Since the manual is not out and the airplane is in the hangar, hiding in sub-zero temps, can you give me an idea of what has changed? Would love to hear more on this one.

Hello Mr. Giron,

This was a very minor change related to how the system reacts when the third-party autopilot is engaged in its own standalone mode and not following the flight director, and then the pilot presses the EFIS button (on the Trutrak GX Pilot unit; other third-party autopilot units have an equivalent button). There was a request to have the flight director come back on when this happened, which we have now added in this software update. You could already reactivate the flight director using the FD button on the GMC 305 or by selecting any lateral or vertical flight director mode, so we think it's unlikely anybody ever really encountered this situation, but we try to be responsive to requests from the field. No other changes were made to the way the flight director and/or autopilot fly the airplane.

- Matt

Back