What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AE Fuel Injection Question

Geico266

Well Known Member
Model AE400-1A1A from ECI

I am trying to calibrate the fuel injection system on my Titan I0X-360 from AE. According to the manual I am suppose to adjust system to.....

@ 2700 RPM
Unmetered FP = 24.5 PSI
Metered FP = 20 PSI
Fuel Flow = 16.2 - 17.0 GPH.
EGTs = 1250-1275F

What I can get is 30PSI unmetered, and 15 PSI metered, FF 12 GPM, EGT's 1210 - 1250F. :mad:

Idle specs are dead on @ 750 RPM, 8 PSI unmetered, 50 RPM increase rich to lean.

From what I gather in the instructions the metered FP cannot be adjusted in the field. Is this true? If so, who can do it? :confused:

The issue with the plane is "back burning" or "after burning"... a slight rumble at 75% cruise or full throttle. I am pretty sure it is fuel related as running LOP the plane is smooth as silk. The issue also goes away if I switch from "BOTH" mags to L or R. :confused:

I have inspected and cleaned the mags, plugs, timing, running 100LL. New engine with 230 hours. Compressions are all above 76. EGT's are within 130F, CHTs are all 350 or less.

Any and all advice and responses appreciated.

Last edited:
EGT?

I don't know much about the rest of it, but specifying a correct EGT is surprising, especially for an EAB. That number is meaningless as it can vary dramatically with probe placement.
The full rich fuel flow of 16+ gph is important for takeoff cooling, and the 50 rpm rise at idle as it goes into ICO indicates you have a correct mixture at idle.
I think those two rather set the boundaries, but your best bet is call Don at Airflow Performance. They are the experts and have been great to work with from my end.
Once you get the basics dialed in you can use the EGT to balance the cylinders, so that they all peak at the same fuel flow, or within .2 gph of each other if possible. But you really don't ever care what the specific EGT value is, only that they all peak at the same flow
Tim
2013 dues paid

Simple answer.

If you have a standard compression engine then EGT at SL will be out 1250-1300dF.

If Low compression about 100 more.

Simple answer.

If you have a standard compression engine then EGT at SL will be out 1250-1300dF.

If Low compression about 100 more.

The problem is the " rumble" or "after buring". The reason is ( I believe) the fuel pressures are not within specs. The EGT is a symptom. ;)

Last edited:
Well, after much research and talking to Steve Thatcher at ECI we narrowed my " after fire" rumble to a bad injector. I bought 2 new ones and installed them and went for a spin. Everything is now smooth as silk. :D

I had cleaned them before, but evidently there was one out of spec or still dirty. In any event, she is a smooth running machine now! :D

Last edited:
Back