What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOPA reports FAA put sleep apnea regulations on hold

Maybe

Or maybe they are focusing their resources to defeating the bill eliminating the third class medical first then revisiting the sleep apnea stuff later.

( find a way to balance pilots? and the FAA?s concerns. ) and what dose that mean? Now I am really worried.

Remember one thing. They don't care about your concerns. It wasn't until their disregard for your concerns put themselves in a vulnerable position when the threat of legislative action appeared. Had that not happened, business as usual.

They care about their funding. Adding more regulatory red tape increases their demands for funding.

Example:

1990 Cincinnati FSDO had 12 inspectors, at the height of GA activity.
2013 Now they have over 60, low GA activity.

Why do they now need so many, with less activity? What's different? More red tape, that's what's different.

Bob You Have It Right

Having worked for a major oil/chemical company for 25 years I
KNOW the Fed reg agencies.
I was told and witnessed, "anytime we need more funds...we hire more
Inspectors and increase inspections".
Fact!

Another wrinkle in the sleep apnea debate

"Girl's death fuels debate on use of tonsillectomies for sleep apnea"

More than half million kids get treated for sleep apnea every year, according to the following article, and presumably, most do not have a BMI over 40. But some die from the operation - which is a common treatment for the disorder.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2022510966_tonsilsdeathxml.html

So, we trade poor sleep for permanent sleep?

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

"Girl's death fuels debate on use of tonsillectomies for sleep apnea"

More than half million kids get treated for sleep apnea every year, according to the following article, and presumably, most do not have a BMI over 40. But some die from the operation - which is a common treatment for the disorder.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2022510966_tonsilsdeathxml.html

So, we trade poor sleep for permanent sleep?

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

When I was a kid in the middle of the last century, it was standard practice to remove your tonsils and adenoids around age 10 even if no symptoms existed.

At least this is a step forward, though not a good on in this case...:rolleyes:

Gil, tonsilless in Tucson

Lost mine too, Gil - about age 6 - all I remember was I got a dish of ice cream. Didn't even have sleep apnea!

I'm Light Sport these days, and this ruckus makes me Oh! So Glad that I am. Without tonsils, they'd have to get seriously drastic with me (only kidding - they'd only get to me after they "disposed" of the much higher BMI guys.

Maybe pilots will only be able to fly under the Americans with Disabilities Act..........

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Remember one thing. They don't care about your concerns. It wasn't until their disregard for your concerns put themselves in a vulnerable position when the threat of legislative action appeared. Had that not happened, business as usual.

They care about their funding. Adding more regulatory red tape increases their demands for funding.

Example:

1990 Cincinnati FSDO had 12 inspectors, at the height of GA activity.
2013 Now they have over 60, low GA activity.

Why do they now need so many, with less activity? What's different? More red tape, that's what's different.
The FAA must be getting worried, and with good reason.

Does anyone know how many airplanes were taken off the registry when their N-numbers weren't "renewed"? I would bet the total number of flying aircraft in the US just dropped a significant number and now the FAA has to justify their bloated staff.

Back