What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You never know how it is going to go

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I doubt if anyone has ever built or purchased an RV with the idea that it will be a great photography platform. I know I didn't. I built it for cross country speed and fun aerobatics. And the truth is that it is a pretty lousy photography platform.

The things is, over the years, I have been flying fewer and fewer cross country flights and more and more local scenic/photography flights. I generally don't have much of a plan. I will drive to the airport and fly the direction of something I am curious about or to an area I haven't been to in a while.

I enjoy this and get a kick out of it when other people like and want to share the photographs. In addition to the ordinary family and friends outlets quite a few photos taken from my little garage built plane have been published in scientific journals. Today, for a first, I was asked for permission to use one of the photos in a college textbook.

The RV isn't really the tool for the job, and I would still like to have something with a high wing and openable door/window for better quality but the RV works for pleasure photography and I do enjoy the fact that you get to the subject area in a hurry.

Larry,

I have a similar experience. A year ago I flew over Hudson River with a Drift camera mounted on my left wing tip. After the flight I uploaded the entire video (http://youtu.be/Jk_vNHpBp74) on YouTube and post here. Two months ago I got an email from a Japanese TV production company asking permission to use a segment for their upcoming special program on the Miracle of Hudson. What a surprise. Now I am acknowledged on a Japanese TV program that I will never see:D.

Today, for a first, I was asked for permission to use one of the photos in a college textbook.

No doubt a geology/geomorphology textbook with a section on karst?

Congratulations. You have a great eye for the intriguing and take some mighty nice photos!

Back