What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electromagnetic annoyance

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Since the beginning I have a strong background noise when I push the PTT switch to talk. On the receiving side my signal is clear. An additional and likely related side effect is a surge on my EGT temperatures while the PTT is on. Interestingly if I want to focus with precision on a specific phase of a flight, I am using this side effect (i.e. 3 PTT pulses) to mark the diagrams I download for display at Savyanalysis :cool:.
I still want to fix this annoyance and would appreciate suggestions if someone faced this problem. FYI I have the Skyview with the adaptation harness. Another possibly related anomaly is that sometimes my EGTR runs crazy and ends-up with a big red cross on its display.

Measure DC millivolts between battery negative and the transmitter case while pressing the PTT switch. It should be close to zero, 5 millivolt maximum. If too high, clean and tighten all connections. Also check engine ground wire.
Joe Gores

Thanks for the suggestions, Joe and Rich. Has anybody seen these EGT surges when pushing PTT? I suspect this is related to the background noise.

Many add an extra ground from the engine right side to the same ground connection from the battery.

Many add an extra ground from the engine right side to the same ground connection from the battery.

Hey Bill! Not sure I understand. How about a little more detail. I might just do that as a belt and suspenders approach myself,

Tom

Known issue?

When you say it is a known issue on the skyview, do you mean skyviews in general or just the RV-12 installations?

I have the skyview installation, not the conversion, and encountered the same egt rise when testing radio and pressing the PTT. Contacted Dynon and was told it was a known problem. Mine was still under warrantee, so after emailing them with info they requested, I received an RMA number, returned for repair (no charge). Since receiving and reinstalling I have had no more problems.

I have the skyview installation, not the conversion, and encountered the same egt rise when testing radio and pressing the PTT. Contacted Dynon and was told it was a known problem. Mine was still under warrantee, so after emailing them with info they requested, I received an RMA number, returned for repair (no charge). Since receiving and reinstalling I have had no more problems.

Good to know, thanks a lot, I will contact Dynon.

Update: Dynon answered right away and confirmed they have a fix. I will have to ship them the SV-EMS-220 unit, not the Skyview unit. A good opportunity to add the missing wire in the radio while my avionics shelf is open :-(

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks a lot, I will contact Dynon.

Update: Dynon answered right away and confirmed they have a fix. I will have to ship them the SV-EMS-220 unit, not the Skyview unit. A good opportunity to add the missing wire in the radio while my avionics shelf is open :-(

Final update: The EMS box came back from Dynon (1 week turn over with 2 days shipping). There is a nice sticker over one screw saying "Warranty cancelled id removed" so I will never know what Dynon did inside the box but according to the paperwork if not under warranty is would have cost about $300. The big disappointment was that once reinstalled Skyview refused to work with the EMS because it requires the latest Skyview version 7.0.1 while I have 7.0.0. Nice trick for Dynon to force customers to update but they could at least warn customers in the attached instructions on how to restart Skyview after the repair.
As mentioned above and although it belongs to another Thread, I updated the wiring between Skyview and Garmin SL-40. The result is a pure delight, pushing and pulling the frequencies from one to the other, getting the ID of the Airport on which the frequencies are tuned: so far the best bucks for my money!!!... And slipping the female pin into the connector in the back of the Garmin was so easy that I am almost ashamed to tell you guys who struggled removing the radio rack so a big thanks to Bill Hollifield who suggested the idea first :cool: ... too bad that I had to wave through the ranting between Bob and Scott to get to Bill's posting on the 4th page of the thread :D

Tom - no picture but there is an empty boss on top of cylinder #4 (aft) that will take a (new) metric screw.

I took a piece of thick wire about 8 inches long, put ring terminals on each end, and ran it from that (new) screw to go from there back to where the battery ground connects to the oil tank holder assembly, just aft of the oil tank.

Bill

The thread has discussed the EMS issue quite a bit but not the radio howling noise. Comments?

Back