What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank slosh peeling/cracking

I've always heard sloshing is a bad plan as it inevitably comes loose and causing fuel blockage in strainers.

Best long term plan is replace the tanks....

There have been accidents (some fatal) as a result of slosh coming loose in tanks. If you have "sealant" peeling and coming loose...I'd send the tanks out for repair, or better yet...just build new ones. No amount of money is worth saving when the engine sputters to a stop. Just my two cents...

peeling slosh

I posted the question on slosh peeling for a friend who has a RV6,1992 built,
and on Saturday while doing a preflight we found evidence of peeling after removing a fuel cap and using a penlight, the sad news stared back at us.
I knew that many RVers would reply, and thought it the best way to show
a new RV pilot how much Dougs' website can bring expert advice on any
problem with his airplane.

Thank you all for your response,now all he has to do is choose the way to
solve the problem. I think he will choose to have new tanks built, as
repair of the tanks seems to be as costly as new ones.

Dale F. Field

I knew that many RVers would reply, and thought it the best way to show a new RV pilot how much Dougs' website can bring expert advice on any problem with his airplane.

So, has he signed up with VAF yet??:D

Thank you all for your response,now all he has to do is choose the way to solve the problem. I think he will choose to have new tanks built, as repair of the tanks seems to be as costly as new ones.

Dale F. Field

He can repair them himself, and save a lot of $$$. Big advantage of repair vs new is the paint job will still match.

A good contact to discuss the repair process would be Rosie. Also, Dan Horton has some good info on opening and re-closing fuel tanks, not sure if Dan has done the slosh removal thing however.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=9

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=2320

Back