What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I really build one --- RV7 ?????

Mike Weaver

I'm New Here
The things that have drawn me to a RV 7 are speed, looks, cost and most importantly the ability to work on the aircraft myself. I am a pilot but have never built anything other than balsa wood models. I have looked at a number of builders web sites and it looks like as long as you closely follow the instructions it should be a do able thing in time. I am wondering how detailed the written instructions are and if a lot of the contruction information has to be interperted from the plans? Time to build in not an issue but safety is. I have not found any FAA records that a RV has come apart in the air, but what if I unknowingly not do something correctly and my does.

I would welcome any input. I am really having a hard time making the decision to do it or not.

Thanks for your help.

Mike Weaver

Welcome Mike!

A couple of articles that you might want to read are:

"Can I Build A RV?" by Scott McDaniels
http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/AnRVcanIbuildone.htm
and
"The unvarnished truth about building airplanes" by Randy Lervold

The short answer is "it depends".

You will have all the support and help in the world online. If you're OK with working with your hands (change the lawnmower oil, fix the toilet, etc.) and can dedicate the TIME that is required, you stand a good chance and getting the project finished.

There are a lot of RVs in North Carolina and people will come out of the woodwork to look over your project and introduce themselves. This is, after all, a social hobby <g>.

The (financially) worst thing that can happen is you start to build the tail, decide it's not your 'bag', and sell everything for almost what you have invested in it.

Can't hurt....

Best,
Doug

Mike Weaver said:
The things that have drawn me to a RV 7 are speed, looks, cost and most importantly the ability to work on the aircraft myself. I am a pilot but have never built anything other than balsa wood models. I have looked at a number of builders web sites and it looks like as long as you closely follow the instructions it should be a do able thing in time. I am wondering how detailed the written instructions are and if a lot of the contruction information has to be interperted from the plans? Time to build in not an issue but safety is. I have not found any FAA records that a RV has come apart in the air, but what if I unknowingly not do something correctly and my does. I would welcome any input. I am really having a hard time making the decision to do it or not. Thanks for your help.
Mike Weaver

Mike,

I'm no expert (I'm just getting started on my -9), but I think your concerns are shared by most builders before they get started. Most builders are firemen, mechanics, computer geeks, etc... (with the odd NASA flight director here and there), NOT professional airplane builders/mechanics.

My plans seem pretty good, and where they might not be, there are a bazillion web sites to see pictures and ask questions of other builders.

As far as your plane coming apart goes... you'd have to do a bunch of things wrong for that to happen. These things are so over-engineered that you could probably leave out half the rivets and they'd be safe.

Mike,

I think most first time builders go through these thoughts. Get in touch with your local EAA chapter, they will provide the guidance and help you need. In addition, take advantage of the Technical Counselor program. They will make sure your project is safe and done correctly.

The Charlotte chapter's tech counselors have developed a reputation with the local FISDO as being very tough and they feel comfortable with the quality of the airplanes produced by our chapter.

As you build, your confidence level will increase and soon enough you will have no doubts about your project.

Good luck!

Hi Mike,
I'm a newbie soon to be RV-7 builder. I went through a similar although slightly different thought process in coming to a decision. There is so much help in the building of an RV, with a super support group such as this forum, the people who have detailed their construction in videos and online builders logs and the tech counseler inspections, I feel that safely building the aircraft is not an issue. With some experience and the knowledge of others you will know if it's OK. I've opted to attend Alexander Technical Center the end of October to complete my RV-7 tail assembly. I thought this was money well spent to gain knowledge on construction techniques and also to get the project going with a jump start. I also will order the QB wings and fuselage (my biological clock is running and I need big pieces quickly before momma changes her mind). I've had the preview plans for about 3 weeks and have looked over the empanage section thoroughly. With the exception of a few places it really is pretty straightforward. It's also really nice to sit with the manual and log onto one of the excellent builders sites and just follow along with the construction. I recommend that you order the preview plans which are required with any kit and additionally the RVator newsletter. Good Luck in your decision.

Go for it

Mike Weaver said:
I am wondering how detailed the written instructions are and if a lot of the construction information has to be interpreted from the plans? Time to build in not an issue but safety is. I have not found any FAA records that a RV has come apart in the air, but what if I unknowingly not do something correctly and my does.

I would welcome any input. I am really having a hard time making the decision to do it or not.

Thanks for your help. Mike Weaver
Mike good questions. Let me say Yes you can probably build a plane, many many have, and many of those boys and girls have never built anything. I say probably because perseverance is key. If you give up easy than you may not finish, that's a fact, but I don't get the feel your that kind of person. There are no 100% guarantees in life or building a RV, but the chance of success if you stick with it is very high.

Structural Safety - I'll correct one of your comments, there have been a few RV's come apart, emphasis on few, over the +25 years they have been around. The RV-7 in particular has no structural failures I know of to date. Any plane can be flown beyond limits, Cessna, Piper, but in general RV's are very strong, every bit as strong as any Cessna or Piper. Really the RV is quite a bit stronger than most factory planes because RV's are aerobatic. The few airframes that have come apart in-flight, where mostly from exceeding the limitations (diving and/or sharp pull-ups at excessively high speed). There where some from improper construction, for example the rear spar connection was not even close to plans. It was an obvious error but was ignored. The beauty of metal structure is if you screw up, you scarp that part or assembly and build another. Van is very fair about selling you individual repair parts for builder mess ups, which happens to the best of us.

The basic RV design is not in question. RV's are very strong if flown in the weight and G limits and built per planes. Building per planes is not hard or mysterious. The new kits with pre-punched parts and better instructions and drawings reduce build errors even more. Once you start building you will have 100% confidence in the structure. I can't explain it to you unless you are building, but you will know it is good. The beauty of metal structure is you can see if you have good holes, rivets and bolted connections. Also with the EAA technical advisor program you can have an experienced person be a second pair of eyes to assure QC. You know who is good at inspecting, your wife or girlfriend. Once you show them what a proper rivet looks like or what good edge margin is, they will let you know if your work is up to specs or not. :D

System Safety - like engine and fuel for example. Following the plans and standard configurations, not one of a kind unique designs, gives you very safe systems. Even though RV's are "Experimental Amateur Built airplanes", the experiment has long been over. There are so many planes built and flown with great safety, we basically copy these known configurations and assure success. Van now provides air boxes, baffle kits, hoses, fuel systems, exhaust systems, controls, brackets, alternators, props, electrical supplies and complete firewall forward parts kits, so making good safe system installations is fairly easy. The system area use to be left to the builders to forge for themselves years ago, but the kit supply market has matured and is now providing custom parts just for the RV. See Van's Accessory Catalog on their site. Also order a free Spruce Aircraft Catalog to see what is available.

As far as instructions & drawings they are good. There is also help on line, builder web sites to look at, EAA tech advisors, local RV builders and of course Van's, to answer questions by email or phone.

Instructions could always be better, sure but they are very good. Some one brought up the Christian Eagle kits bi-plane on another forum. They where renowned because they came with a razor blade on the outside of the box to open the box. It came with everything in little packages for each step and very detailed instructions. If you needed to glue something it came with the glue, stir sticks and cups to mix it. Van's kit does not come with tools and other materials like primers and sealants, but it's not top secret. These items are easy to acquire thru multiple sources. So you will have to buy a considerable amount of tools and supplies to get started: air compressor, rivet gun and bucking bar, air drill (high speed more accurate), dimple dies, shears............ (the list is long). Tools are investment and don't really lose value. You will likely want some bigger powered items like drill press, band saw, belt sander and grinder wheel with a scotch-brite wheel. When you get closer to making the big step you can check the archives of this forum for tools to buy and best places to buy these items. Van's instructions also has guidance.

Building is an education and you will learn. If you like learning and acquiring new skills you will love the building process. Even if your goal is only to have the plane and are not in love with the building process, you will still learn and look at it with pride and achievement. It's a big commitment in time and money, but when you are done you will have a beautiful flying plane. Even if it's not perfect show winner, it will be safe, fast and fun if you follow the plans and standard practices. If you don't start what will you have 2-5 years from now? (more time on the couch watching TV)

Last edited:
hey mike, i had no metal working experience. so decided to take the weekend rv builders course at alexandria training center in atlanta to get an idea if i could or not. when i finished and got home i called and ordered the tail kit immediately. the rv course is very good , i had never heard of a cleco before and had never seen a rivet, even a pulled rivet was beyond me before taking the course. i was retired when i started and worked more or less full time in my garage with the help of my wife. it took me 2 years and ten months to complete the rv 7a slow build. i think van has a very good kit with very good instructions. they also offer excellent builder support . you can tell i'm very happy with the building process and the kit. have been flying my 7a for over two years and it is by far the most fun and best flying aircraft i have ever flown in 50 years of flying. enough rambling. love the airplane and think van makes a great kit. fred

Mike, check out www.buildtofly.com which is the site for Alexander Tech center in Griffin, GA. It's just south of Atlanta. You can have your Empennage kit shipped there directly from Van's, and report there for six long days of work!
When you're done, you will have a very nicely built Empennage and the skills and
confidence to know that you can complete the rest of the kit. You will also be able to try out all the tools and you will know exactly what you want and need to buy for your own tool inventory. If you drive there in a car where the rear seat folds down, the right front seat reclines, and it is open thru the trunk,(e.g., Camry, etc.) you can bring the completed assembly home with you at the end of the week. I know they have classes in Oct. and Dec., although I don't know about openings for them. I did it and highly recommend it!
Good Luck and Happy Building!

One other thing

Mike,

Charlotte's EAA 309 will have another builder's work shop, probably in the spring. We charged $35, including lunch and the tool box, for a full day of building experience.

If you are not in a hurry, you might wish to keep watching our web site. www.eaa309.org for the announcement.

The first thing to check on THESE days, is your city ordinance...make sure you're even ALLOWED to do this... :rolleyes:

JAX

To build or not..

Mike,
I am not sure where Winterville NC is, but I am building a -4 just south of Winston-Salem. If you fly, and have access to a plane, I am in an airpark called Marchmont (6NC8) approx 12 miles south of INT. Feel free to contact me and come take a look at what youll be up against. I am nearing completion, but everything is visible such as wiring/plumbing,ect. above and beyond the metalwork part. You can even shoot some rivets in some scrap if you want...I can tell you the time and obligation to family (if you have one)is far more challenging than the work itself.

Bill Englert, RV-4

Heck with them

cjensen said:
The first thing to check on THESE days, is your city ordinance...make sure you're even ALLOWED to do this... :rolleyes:

JAX
I hear you and read about this, but heck with them. First they should not know what I am doing in my home, and if they do they will have to sue me. It seems almost unconstitutional or dare I say unAmerican, life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. (All outside USA please ignore previous comment, sorry, its a local thing, no disrespect intended for international readers.)

I understand having cars on ones lawn with the transmission in the drive for weeks might be an eye sore. Or a RV or Boat permanently parked in the street and the need for homeowner association rules, but please building a plane in your garage is our business if out of sight. I can see run-ups in the drive or front lawn might be a no-no, but out of sight out of mind. Try Enforcing that. "What are all those Crate's?" Ans: Furniture or entertainment system. Pretty soon they will tell you can't buy IKEA build it yourself furniture because assembly is required.

I'll be gosh darn if I'll let someone tell me what I can do inside the privacy of my own home, as long as its not illegal or illicit. Not a big ACLU fan, but may be they can take this up. For now do it on the down low and ignore this insane ridiculous intrusion of government. On the other buyer beware before you buy a house with a super militant HOA with control freaks in charge. If you buy into that community and they say no building planes/boats, you legally have given up your rights. I know my HOA told me my porch chair was dirty once and left my garbage can out too long once after pick-up. :rolleyes: I can deal with that, but not going into my house and saying we don't like your hobby.

Last edited:
You can do it!

Mike,

Yes, you absolutely can build one. If you want to see the excellent detail provided to the builder, you can purchase the preview plan set for the model of your choice. They cost 55 bucks. You need to buy this if you order a kit anyway, and I think Vans deducts the preview plans cost if you already have them when you get the kit.

There are at least two good reasons to order the preview plans NOW.

1. You get the build instructions and 11x17 drawings for the whole airplane
  2. You take the first of many steps in building the plane you've always wanted. (The most important step of the build process is taking the next step)
JUST DO IT!

No offense taken

I hear you and read about this, but heck with them. First they should not know what I am doing in my home, and if they do they will have to sue me. It seems almost unconstitutional or dare I say unAmerican, life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. (All outside USA please ignore previous comment, sorry, its a local thing, no disrespect intended for international readers.)

As an ex pat Brit living "over here" I would venture to say we have more freedoms than you do...But we don't feel the need to brag about it as much...;)

Of course gas was already $5 a gallon before I left 9 years ago too. Yes I was free to build an airplane back there...But no way i could afford to.

Frank

fixnflyguy said:
Mike,
I am not sure where Winterville NC is, but I am building a -4 just south of Winston-Salem. If you fly, and have access to a plane, I am in an airpark called Marchmont (6NC8) approx 12 miles south of INT. Feel free to contact me and come take a look at what youll be up against. I am nearing completion, but everything is visible such as wiring/plumbing,ect. above and beyond the metalwork part. You can even shoot some rivets in some scrap if you want...I can tell you the time and obligation to family (if you have one)is far more challenging than the work itself.

Bill Englert, RV-4

Please do go take a look at the RV-4 in progress here, and then find an RV-7 in progress and compare the parts and plans. I built an RV-4 and am just about to start on an RV-7. The kit and manual quality is so much better than it was "back in the day" You CAN definately do it, you just have decide if you WANT to do it or not. You won't be sorry if you do!

Hi Mike,

Face it, your hooked. Here are some suggestions (What I should have done when I got the RV idea in my head):

1. Order Van's RV Training Project - Learn Basic Sheet Metal Skills
2. Then get the video Sheet Metal Tools from George Orndorff's website. (Go to "Videos", then "Other Videos")
3. Have a series of inevitable "Ah-ha's" while putting the kit together.
4. Order the tail kit for your desired RV.
5. Buy your wife something nice. (otherwise known as the suck-up syndrome)
6. Start working on tail kit.
7. At the completion of the tail kit, you'll know what you are doing and will have the necessary skills to finish the rest of the airplane.
8. Swagger around the house like John Wayne with a few "wah-ha's".

Have a goodun'!

Can you build it ? yes you can.

Anyone who's familiar with the child's Builder Bob cartoon knows how to say the title.

Mike, seriously, yes you can. I had no building experience, no balsa, no nothing. Tried to build a hang glider in high school but never finished. In fact I wasn't known by close friends for finishing many lengthy tasks.

I started with the belief I was going to have help from other builders in area. And in the 3 and a half years I was waiting for the help to show up I finished the plane. I've been told I did a great job by other builders but I just did it the best I could. I still know where the mistakes are even if nobody else does. After the first glorious flight they no longer mattered.

I would not have finished were it not for the resources available on the internet. And that was seven years ago, there is considerably more available now.

I'm of average intellegence (hopefully no one knows me well enough to dispute that) and if I didn't understand something in the plans someone had already inquired about it on the Matronics.com site. If I couldn't find anything on the net then I would go back to the plans or manual. I learned very early not to call Van's. I tried that once and got "didn't you read the manual?"

Your hardest challenges will not be of a technical nature. They will be trying to make the enormous amount of building option decisions. I couldn't even tell you how many times I changed the panel lay out. New products are always coming out.

I originally planned on building a 6A with an 0320 fixed pitch. Ended up building a 6 with 0360 fuel inj. CS prop.

Wiring was initiated by purchasing a 12v power supply at Radio Shack hooking two wires to it and playing with a small light bulb until it came on. Then added a switch to the arraignment to see how that worked.

Things that would have helped: attended a builders workshop, allowed more help from others, many people asked "how can I help". I didn't even know myself so I didn't know how to instruct others.

I can't even imagine how much quicker and fun building a second plane would be.

Rob Herndon RV6-223RH 340hrs.

Back