What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 N188PD Paul Dye

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I started flying and working on airplanes when I was a teenager, and always knew that someday, i would build and fly my perfect aircraft. That dream came true when I finished my RV-8 "The Valkyrie", lifting off for the first time on October 9th, 2005, 30 years to the day after my first solo flight (in a J-3 Cub). Of all the airplanes I have been privileged to fly, none combines everything that I want in the same package as well is this one. It took me just 18 months and 1040 hours to go from first rivet to first flight using the Quick Build option and a lot of focus.

img1451fp5.jpg

img1446pn6.jpg

My goals in designing the systems and equipment for the Valkyrie were to make an airplane that I could depend on for traveling (IFR or VFR) and that I could have a lot of fun with flying locally as well. I wanted to push the envelope a little bit with technology, using the latest (within reason) equipment that would make the job of single-pilot IFR simpler and safer. I wanted to do away with vacuum systems, and get rid of mechanical gyros altogether. I wanted an autopilot that was simple to operate, yet could track a flight plan as well as hold heading. Redundancy to the single-fault tolerant level was a requirement, with dual redundancy desirable for functions critical to making it home. I fulfilled all of these desires with the Grand Rapids EFIS and TruTrak Autopilot coupled to the proven GNS 430 from Garmin. Backup navigation is provided by a GPS 18 receiver coupled to AnywhereMap, and the most recent addition, a Garmin 396 (with XM Weather) on a RAM mount. I designed my cockpit around the concept that everything should fall readily to hand with my eyes closed, and similar functions should be grouped together. I designed and constructed a triple-bus electrical system in a side panel, and equipped the plane with both a main and standby alternator, with an Odyssey main battery and a 30 minute standby battery for the EFIS.

img1460dt0.jpg

The Valkyrie is powered by a TMX-O-360 built by Mattituck with all ECI components, coupled to a Hartzell Blended Airfoil constant speed propeller. I chose the carburated engine because it is simple, easy to work on, and I had no desire to fly extended negative G aerobatics.

The airplane flew unpainted for about six months before visiting GLO Custom paint shop in fort Worth, Texas. Grady O'Neal executed a beautiful paint job in the month that the plane was there, and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. You can find many more pictures on the VAF Web site (courtesy of Doug Reeves) at the following link:

http://www.vansairforce.com/images/PaulDyeRV8/index.html

There are additional cockpit pictures in the VAF Forums, where Doug put together a "Virtual Tour":

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5213&highlight=Ironflight+Cockpit

And the name (Valkyrie)?

"With the airplane finally ready to make it?s public debut (out of the paint shop), I guess it is time to give her a name! Seeing as how my ancestral home is on the Iron Range of Minnesota, it seems appropriate that my airplane be named to recognize the Scandinavian roots of my heritage. My NASA call sign of ?Iron Flight? was chosen to honor my grandfather, who worked in the iron mines that have generated so much of the industrial might of our nation. In Norse Mythology, the great warriors and gods are linked to iron ? the metal of swords and hammers. In those legends, the god Odin is said to be served by a race of beings whose duty it is to transport the spirits of the greatest warriors to their reward in Valhalla. These beings are often represented as riding winged horses, and therefore it seems fitting that my airplane be given their name, as I can think of no more appropriate appellation than?.the Valkyrie!"

Last edited:
Hey Paul, what do you think about the rudder pedal extensions? I'm at the point of either adding them or just pressing on. As it seems the thing to do, I was wondering if you have actually noticed a difference as in, if they weren't there would you miss them?

Thanks!

I like them, but this is going to be very much a personal fit issue, depending on the size of your foot, and what angle you like to have your ankles at. The original reason I did them was based on reading I did on previous builder's web sites aimed at making sure you didn't inadvertantly apply brakes. I don't think this is really that critical (after a lot of -8 flying), so I just like them becasue they fit me.

Paul

Rearview mirror???

Paul,
is that a rearview mirror on the canopy rollbar in the top left hand corner of the pic? If so, why?

RVAddict said:
Paul,
is that a rearview mirror on the canopy rollbar in the top left hand corner of the pic? If so, why?
I won't answer for Paul, but I use mine to make sure I've completely blown past the respective spam can, before any aggresive maneuvers. :cool: Plus it's helpful in formation flying and taxiing to keep an eye on things.

Mirrors....I got the idea from Kahuna (Autozone mirros with velcro), and primarily use them to maintain eye contact with passengers. Very useful to make sure they are still with you and not turning green...

Pedal extensions .... I just looked at pictures (I think they were from Randy Lervold's RV-8 site) and copied them - plans not required.

Paul

Ironflight said:
and primarily use them to maintain eye contact with passengers. Very useful to make sure they are still with you and not turning green...

Won't the splatter on the back of your neck tell you that?

:eek:

Beautiful aircraft, Paul. Best looking -8 I've seen yet.

My Dad just called and asked me if I had read the latest RVator (yes) and had seen or heard of you and your plane (yes)?

He rarely calls after eight at night.

What about it? "It's EXACTLY how I want to paint my Rocket! I even like the black up on top of the canopy area."

He/ we sure like your paint and plane Paul. Nice job.

(you don't think he would try to even duplicate the NASA shuttle honorary successful flight emblem, do you? :) )

mark manda said:
He/ we sure like your paint and plane Paul. Nice job.

Thanks Mark, and thank your father. Every dediated builder has their perfect airplane inside them - it may not be perfect for someone else - and all they have to do is let it flow from their work. The Val is everything I want and need in an airplane!

Paul

WOW

Paul,

This is a bit of a late reply, but you've done one of the best - if not THE best - 8's I've ever seen.

One word comes to mind: Exquisite !!

"... of rare excellence of production or execution, as works of art or workmanship." - Websters

Sure would be fun to fly down there someday and see you in person... I'm just up the road in OKC. I might be in the air next year, just painted the interior last week.

Fly safe and have fun in that gorgeous airplane!!!

Sure would be fun to fly down there someday and see you in person... I'm just up the road in OKC.

Thanks very much -You're welcome anytime Bill (That is, if the Texas Border Patrol will allow Okies across the Red River....:rolleyes:)!

Get your plane finished, and I'm sure we'll run into each other at North Texas breakfasts.

Paul

Picture of Ram Mount

Paul - I am considering using a RAM mount in my RV8 for my Garmin handheld.. Do you have any pictures showing where you attach yours in the cockpit?

Steve

Paul - I am considering using a RAM mount in my RV8 for my Garmin handheld.. Do you have any pictures showing where you attach yours in the cockpit?

Steve

Hi Steve - I think I posted a picture somewhere, but can't seem to find it now....it's simple though - I put the RAM mount on the starboard side 804 cap, about halfway from the bottom to the top. Since I added it after I was flying, I had to use rivnuts, as the cap was already riveted on. Make sure you try it with yourself and your cushions in the cockpit to make sure You have room!

Paul

RV8A Exhaust issues

I have some problems with exhaust of new RV8A new Lyc 180hp Horiz CS
new FWF kit, Vetterman exhaust also throttle cable & swiffer valve location
Van's suggested I contact Paul Dye, could not find email, hopeful you will respond to this thread, my email is [email protected]. Thx

Back