What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP: Mike Seager Transition Training

BillL

Well Known Member
I completed my transition training in the RV7 yesterday. Thanks to Mike this was very good week. Mike has tremendous patience, and amazing skills in the RV. We flew twice a day, at 8 and 1. The board work is just like the you tube video of Mike, although N477RV now has 38XX hours. The first flight is a T/O from his Vernonia grass field, and an orientation flight over to Scappoose. A full stop landing there and another T/O and back to Vernonia was perfect for me moving from a 172 and Aeronca Champ. Then the real training began.

We had some overcast on Wednesday and got a late start and after we ( Mike) checked all airports in the area I got the rare pleasure of watching Mike fly his R/C helios. Artful flips upside down and back and other flight maneuvers were performed until the batteries dropped down. Mike brought out his big one then did a repeat performance. He put the batteries on charge and we took a tour of his Ford Model T's then, as the sky began to allow departure, he spent 15 min filing and we did a 15 min IFR flight to SCP and completed the days training. The last day I needed 4.3 hours and we did it in two stints. I was bushed at the end of the week, but managed a big grin in front of my RV trainer.

Thanks to Mike Seager for his outstanding training manner and patience. This experience is highly recommended, if you don't already have some high performance aircraft experience. It was such a pleasure learning from Mike, but a shame I was ill equipped to learn more of what he could teach.

Mike and the helicopter:
photo%25201.JPG

Note the roofing tin on the floor, Mike never stops, this project was for extending the roof on his hangar, and progressed each day.

The RV grin - I am now signed off and ready to do my first flight in my own machine!
photo%25203.JPG

I am going to second this with Mike Seager.

On Sept 4th I arrived in Vernonia for transition training for the RV-10 with Mike. He was a great pleasure to work with.

His training is very thorough and in a very easy format to learn. His patience is outstanding.

After 3 days of flying twice a day, I feel very comfortable now taking my RV10 up for the first time. (Hopefully this weekend).

Brian

Hi Mike!

You should have seen the look on Mike's face when I told him that I hadn't flown for 12 years, and had only 15 hours of tailwheel time flown over 30 years ago.
I thought it would be easy. It wasn't. Flying left handed has always been a challenge for me. But Mike was great and very patient. I guess I convinced Mike that I was a very cautious pilot and would very carefully choose the conditions under which I would fly.

I know now that this is NOT the way to go about transition training. Don't put this burden on Mike. Come prepared.

Jim
N444JT

PS Mike, I now have 75 hours in my RV4 without incident. I still won't fly under the conditions we trained in at Vernonia.

PSS Not soliciting, for information only. Just made my SECOND donation to VAF for 2013. $103. I don't want to lose this valuable resource.

Last edited:
Here's another endorsement for Mike. I was well prepared to fly my 6A after 9 hours (slow learner) in Old Blue last year. Old Blue is the same plane Mike gave me a demo ride in at Oshkosh in 1994. Vernonia's a great place to spend a few days. My wife really enjoyed the B&B and riding the bike trails while I flew. Make a side trip to the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville and check out the Spruce Goose, or drive over to Canon Beech. You won't regret it.

John

Back