What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need to shim my tail spring mount?

longranger

Well Known Member
The photo below shows the aft flange of my tail spring mount as it fits against the forward side of the F-712 bulkhead. The aft fuselage is completely clecoed and drilled, and the forward flange of the mount is bolted to the aft face of the F-711 bulkhead. Do I need to shim between the mount and the F-712, or will this pull in when I mount the vertical stabilizer? The gap on the right is about 0.035, and the left is about 0.027. The bottom and center of the mount appear to be in contact with the 712 bulkhead.

I've emailed Van's support, but won't see an answer before Monday.

FP13092013A0002M.jpg

Miles,

I had the same issue, although the gap didn't show up until I'd riveted the tailcone skins and bulkheads together.

I talked with Gus at Van's and he thought the F-711/712 bulkheads were flexible enough to close up the gap when the tailwheel mount was bolted to them. I didn't really like the idea of preloading that area, especially since it's where the vertical stab is attached. So...I went ahead and fabricated a shim. Details are here...

http://mightyrv.com/?p=1300

My $0.02, hope this helps -

Dave

Last edited:
I used flat steel washers to shim mine, (Vans advice). Mine had a 1/8 gap from factory - RV8 Qb.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Advice from Vans: This small distance should pull up, but there's nothing wrong with a shim, either, if it makes
you more comfortable.
:rolleyes:

I kind of like the washer idea, especially since the gaps are mostly at the corners of the mount. An AN960-416L on each side should work nicely.

Back