RV-7A N614EF

Default End of the line... NOT!!!!

And that, as they say, is that.

N614EF RV-7A #70240
Where's N614EF
Blog: Letters From Flyover Country
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Default So-called Super AMEs ...

Have you enlisted the services of one of the Super AMEs? I recall there's only about 20 or 30 of them .... they have more sway and more credibility with the FAA in OK City than the other 800 or so AMEs. We're lucky to have a top notch Super AME here in central IL ...he has helped many EAA members around here after they had all but given up hope.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Bob,

I suspect you know way more about this than I ever will, but are you aware of endolymphatic shunt surgery? This was used to successfully treat Ménière’s disease in none other than astronaut Alan Shepard. He was grounded after diagnosis but flew to the moon on Apollo 14 after successful treatment.

Best,
John

Last edited by John R. Graham : 09-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM

+1 on what Rupster said. Call the EAA and the AOPA and talk to their medical folks. This may not necessarily be the end of the line.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Ear Rocks

Bob,Sorry to hear of your predicament,Are you sure the medical community isn't leading you down the garden path for a simple case of BPPV. Have you ever tried a Hall-pike, Epley maneuver? I don't know your history so I'm just spit balling here. Most doctors love to prescribe pill upon pill or what ever it says on there new pen the rep just gave them.Don't give up the fight,you have come too far to stop now!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM
RV-7A N614EF

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R. Graham View Post
are you aware of endolymphatic shunt surgery? This was used to successfully treat Ménière’s disease in none other than astronaut Alan Shepard.
I had that done several years ago.
N614EF RV-7A #70240
Where's N614EF
Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
RV-7A N614EF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
Bob,Sorry to hear of your predicament,Are you sure the medical community isn't leading you down the garden path for a simple case of BPPV. Have you ever tried a Hall-pike, Epley maneuver? I don't know your history so I'm just spit balling here. Most doctors love to prescribe pill upon pill or what ever it says on there new pen the rep just gave them.Don't give up the fight,you have come too far to stop now!
The Eppley maneuver doesn't work for Meniere's. This isn't a new diagnosis. My docs are very honorable and very good (my latest ENT, bless his heart, tried his darndest) and have not prescribed pills. There are no pills -- and certainly no pills that are not banned substances -- for Meniere's. As I indicated on the blog, the FAA in particular, apparently, doesn't like the Medtronic device I'm now using, which is basically is a $3500 ($1800 out of pocket, btw) aquarium pump.

See, that signals to the FAA that there MIGHT be additional symptoms in the future and the fact is, they're right.

If I had a beef it's that the FAA punishes those most who try to get on top of their maladies, but you know, I'm getting too old to get too outraged anymore.
N614EF RV-7A #70240
Where's N614EF

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 09-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Default Wow

Some things in life just SUCK. This is one of them. I am very sorry to read of your issues here. Always enjoy your writings, battles and triumphs. Very sorry that this one is one you can seem to fix or work through.

Best, Rick

Osh 11,12. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 7 islands of Bahamas too! Flown 2 turtles and one dog for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Your host.

+1, Bob.

LSA maybe? If yes, just tell me know how I can help.
v/r,
dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWoodall View Post
Some things in life just SUCK. This is one of them. I am very sorry to read of your issues here. Always enjoy your writings, battles and triumphs. Very sorry that this one is one you can seem to fix or work through.

Best, Rick

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 09-10-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Bob, I am sorry to hear this. I know it has to be devastating. However, there does seem to be a door open, as the letter says, to future medical evaluation to the contrary.

As you say, the system punishes those who try to remedy ailments when we may perhaps consider that others might have done noting to address their health issue and just carried on flying without a medical (LSA, glider, ultralights). Most know about the caveat to continued flying of any sort once the dreaded medical denial occurs. Since, as is true, you can fly your airplane today, tomorrow and the next as long as you have a qualified and current pilot to fly with you and assume PIC for legal purposes and act as a safety pilot while you fly, all is not lost. I would imagine that if we can get "waivers" to fly with hearing loss, color blindness, single eye vision, etc with waivers of demonstrated ability then maybe you can continue flying as you are with a safety "PIC" pilot on board and take careful notes on your condition and liaise with an AOPA medical department, etc and see what might lie ahead as far as future medical certification.

Sorry to see this.