What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does this look right for a 7?

BillL

Well Known Member
I have seen the prop gov bracket pointed, well, differently, so how does this look? It seems the Hartzell gov has 12 holes, so it can only be moved 30deg to the right or left.

Thanks,

IMG_0752.JPG

Amazing picture

Bill - That's an amazing picture! You must have a clear firewall or some kind of a special camera! :D

It seems to be about the same as my 8 if that's any help. I have a few pictures here: http://www.rv8.ch/article.php/20120923223400606

BTW, when you loosen the screws, you can rotate the MT governor to any angle - I would bet that the Hartzell is the same.

Hey, Thanks! Your pictures were helpful. Yes, the housing rotates but not the screw pattern. I found some detailed Hartzell instructions here on VAF that saved my bacon. I mounted the frame to the engine as it might be easier. It took (solo) about 20 min to get the engine mounted, most of which was getting tools. This mounts to the airframe pretty easily so the plan was to enable working on all the hard to reach things on the engine then secure it to the firewall.

I am thinking to get the gov parts aligned, then thread the prop control through the firewall, attach it to the loose governor, loctite, safety wire etc, then leave the final 4 bolts for the gov/engine mount for last as the engine/frame is being mounted. I did not want to beat up stuff, including my hands, working in the tight space unless required.

Thanks, again, for your response.

Last edited:
You can also take all the screws out and move the plate around to the next set of holes and that gives you many more options. I had to do that and it made life so much better..

Back