What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Baffling, Two front panels around flywheel

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Have my ramps completed. Last two front panels around flywheel appear to be a inch too long. Not sure if I should trim those to be no farther forward then the teeth on the flywheel. Seems my 3 nutplates that hold the two cowl haves together are up against that baffle plate on each side of the flywheel. Does the rubber material need to be fastened that far forward? Also crossed my mind will the flywheel teeth come in contact with that plate at start up or the shut down vibration? Plans pictures are not quite close enough to get a clear picture.
How did you do it and did you modify the plate by trimming the forward edge after flying?
Thanks Guys.
Ron in Oregon QBRV9A

Fun with baffles!

Hope this picture will help:
8e61e6024665e725ece65f1ebf2bb15415144_0930001434.jpg

0a79abfa039b40f1a65658dceffad2ca25304_photo.JPG

I trimmed the forward edges of the center front baffles to meet the aft edge of the lower cowl inlet as shown in the photos. That was my interpretation of how to it. One of the nut plates are pretty close to the flywheel but it has not been a problem so far.

Good looking pictures Mike,nice baffle and rubber strips installation. Trim job looks nice and uniform all the way around. Ill start trimming today just to get the upper cowl on and then use the paper clip trick. So you have the flywheel on and flying now? Appears I have a screw thru the nutplate that I will have to trim.its really close to the teeth of the flywheel. I missed calling Vans this morning. Will try this afternoon. Plans pages little vague probably because of the varied size engines and the #1 cylinder set back and crank I suppose. Thanks, Mike

Ron in Oregon QBRV9A N421HJ

Ron, while you are at this point, it might still be fairly easy to install nutplates to hold the air dam pieces in front of the two front cylinders. Makes it much easier if you need to trim the dams later on. Remove the dam, trip, reinstall.

Trimming them when riveted on is a major PITA

Just something to consider.

Baffling baffles

Those darn baffles is probably the most iterative process of the entire airplane. At least rates up there with cowl trimming.

My pictures of that front baffle start here. I'm not sure they answer all your questions, but hopefully helps. you just have to put the top cowl on and off and feel the gap. Soft baffle material goes around it to seal to the cowl.

The baffle is attached to the engine, so what ever amount it swings around doesn't change the clearance to the ring gear.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116654282962520736797/FWF?noredirect=1#5403230313393754546

Ron:
If a look-see helps you out let me know. Am just 10 minuets south at Albany. Can fly up to KSLE, let you put an eyeball one first hand and answer questions. Top cowl goes off and back on with a breeze so no problems. May cost you a cup of coffee.

doug
rv-9a
625dk

Ron:
If a look-see helps you out let me know. Am just 10 minuets south at Albany. Can fly up to KSLE, let you put an eyeball one first hand and answer questions. Top cowl goes off and back on with a breeze so no problems. May cost you a cup of coffee.

doug
rv-9a
625dk
What a deal, three Mikes step up and offer the deal of a lifetime.Hoover Starkey and Rhodes! Of course there's Doug TOO! Man do I have my work cut out for me on this project. Its said that front vertical baffle plate is a carve-a-plate per Vans. 4 different engines series it is used for. Thanks for all your pictures they really cleared up the fog here,at least thats where I thought my brain was. Your closeup pictures (Mike-s' ) show good clarity. Doug you show up and the pop and sandwich is on me, surely take you up on the offer. Will you be at Vans home coming this weekend? Maybe we can hook up there. I have to work in the Vans Homecoming kitchen saturday so all you guys look me up. Glad to have you up in Salem Doug. Still think we should have a RV9A cook out for ALL the Oregon 9 owners (Flying and in the build Process) this September. Anybody like the idea. I can pull it off in my Hangar with pop, Fried chicken, potato salad and coleslaw. Sound good! Any body up to it?
Thanks guys

What time you usually at the airport? I stopped by a week or so ago and didn't see you, it was 9-10 am. Doughnut Tuesday the FBO was/is doing, I was the only one that showed up of course

Ya I'll probably go over to independence a time or two throughout the weekend if we don't get rained out. Plan to hit the fly-in at scappoose Saturday afternoon also.

A BBQ and food! Never turned one down yet and it is starting to effect my weight and balance calc's ha ha!

doug

Back