What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Awards 2013

Christer

Well Known Member
Here are the awards for Oshkosh 2013. Lots of RV's represented. Congratulations to all.

HOMEBUILT

Best Aerobatic - Plaque
Christopher Getz
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
2001 Pitts Model 12, N520CG

Kit Outstanding Workmanship - Plaques
Michael Brantseg
Sonoma, California
2011 RV-7, N362MB

Georg Himmeroeder
Alamogordo, New Mexico
2012 Bearhawk, N152GH

Ryan Bendure
Brighton, Colorado
2012 Harmon Rocket II, N77RM

Patrick Hildebrand
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2011 Lancair 320, C-GFAB

Michael Cooper
Manson, Iowa
2011 RV-7, N668MC

Ted Callahan
Magnolia, Texas
2011 Bearhawk, N962TD

Oren Heatwole
Dayton, Virginia
2012 RV-12, N330JA

Plans Outstanding Workmanship - Plaques
Dave Devere
Parker, Colorado
2010 Long-EZ SP, N400EZ

Randall Weselmann
Bainbridge, Indiana
2008 Piel Beryl, N42WX

David Conrad
Wausau, Wisconsin
2011 Tailwind W-10C, N499DC

Kit Champion - Bronze Lindy
Craig Gainza
Fairfield, California
2013 American Legend Aircraft Co. AL3, N755MG

Patrick Gonsoulin
Bend, Oregon
2006 Lancair Legacy, N88SX

Neal Longwill
Austin, Texas
2011 Lancair Evolution, N282CA

Al Dinardi
Jacksonville, Oregon
2010 RV-10, N104AL

Jerry Esquenazi
Senoia, Georgia
2007 RV-8, N84JE

Charles McCluggage
Sugar Land, Texas
2012 RV-8, N188DW

Alex Margheritis
Santa Clarita, California
2007 RV-8, N214MK

Gerald Mercer
Ventura, California
2013 Questair Venture, N17FY

Paul Kovalak
Comstock Park, Michigan
2013 RV-7A, N567PK

John Wilson
Port Orange, Florida
1993 SX300, N42SX

Plans Champion - Bronze Lindy
Don Colchin
Willis, Texas
2004 Wittman Tailwind, N169WH

Mark Lightsey
Riverside, California
2009 Hatz CB-1, NX1279

John Dembs
Rocklin, California
2008 Cozy Mark IV, N333VM

Reserve Grand Champion Kit Built - Silver Lindy
Richard John Cano
Galveston, Texas
2012 Velocity TXL-5 RG, N8XW

Reserve Grand Champion Plans Built - Silver Lindy
Thomas Shpakow
Littleton, Colorado
2006 Starduster SA-750, N28KT

Paul Poberezny Founder?s Award for Best Classic Homebuilt
Christopher Gardner
Dallas, Texas
1963 Midget Mustang, N955Z

Grand Champion Kit Built - Gold Lindy
Jay Sabot
Cheshire, Connecticut
2011 Lancair Legacy, N26XY

Grand Champion Plans Built - Gold Lindy
Jeffrey and John Hanson
Kasson, Minnesota
2009 Hatz Classic, N167Q

Congrats to all. I'm glad to see Charles McCluggage's RV-8 was selected. I drooled over his 8 several times during the week - an absolutely beautifully done RV!

I'm really happy to see a couple of those names on there! Charle's RV8 was really nice, and I also had a chance to see Paul's RV7 up close, the paint on it is beautiful. Al Dinardi's modified RV10 is a work of art. I didn't get to see Mike Coopers airplane, but like the others mentioned above it was a pleasure working with them. It's nice to see hard work rewarded, and given the amount of nice planes there these folks should be very proud of their accomplishments.

Even though a few of them weren't RV's, a couple of those planes (specifically John Dembs Cozy, Jay Sabot's Legacy, and Richard Cano's Velocity) were all very well done and I know from working with those guys how incredibly hard they worked on their planes over many years.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this year's results because most of the names I recognize all deserve it!

Cheers,
Stein

N167Q was the red Hatz? I'm guessing yes...the detail work was excellent.

N167Q was the red Hatz? I'm guessing yes...the detail work was excellent.

and had me drooling for the better part of 45min as I inspected everything that I could see without touching the exquisite surface. It just excited the insides somehow. Even Tanya felt the goosebumps as we poured over it. Our inspection would have been much more enjoyable without the airshow announcer blaring in our ear over the loudspeaker.

No rocket science, just a craftsman with an obvious intent. Impressed.

Even though a few of them weren't RV's, a couple of those planes (specifically John Dembs Cozy, Jay Sabot's Legacy, and Richard Cano's Velocity) were all very well done and I know from working with those guys how incredibly hard they worked on their planes over many years

Stein, I stopped by the booth to introduce myself and put a name with a face, but you were on a break...everywhere I park the plane, people always comment on the great panel! You sure have your share of award winning panels!

Thanks for all your help!

Jon D.
Cozy MKIV

DuckGuy,
That was mine. Thank you very much for the compliment! I worked pretty hard on that paint scheme. I had some help from Scheme Designers, but in the end it was mostly my own crazy ideas they helped me put together.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Flying since 2007, 780 hours

The red Hatz classic is a father/son build. I knew they were gonna win something. It's a beauty. I spent some time talking with the owner and the other folks in the Hatz Biplane Association. They assured me that these planes fly as great as they look. I just need to get myself out to the sweltering garage to continue welding the rudder for my Hatz CB-1. :)

Another Hatz builder

All of the Hatz on the flight line were well done, I mentioned an interest in starting another project but of the low and slow tube and fabric variety to some friends at my local airport a couple of months ago which resulted in me being donated a Hatz CB-1 fuselage and tail feathers weldment and a set of plans. After looking at the completed aircraft and talking to the builders I have found my next project :D. Suspect it might take longer than my RV but who knows.
Will make a great companion aircraft.

Back