What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixed feelings about my first trip to OSH.

Bullseye

Well Known Member
Hello everyone.

As some of you know, I sold my RV-7 slow build kit a few months ago to a nice gentleman from Charlotte, NC.

My new wife pointed out that by the time I finish the RV-7, I'll need four seats (primary mission is XC to see the parents in FL).

Also, she has more fun flying with me now than watching me fret about how long it was taking me to finish the RV-7.

Anyway, as luck would have it, I made the trip to OSH this year to support the HJ two-ship formation demo on Monday, and then took the red one home first thing tuesday morning.

Here are my highs and lows:

High: Holy cow, OSH is awesome. I spent a couple hours just driving around getting the lay of the land, and I can see how people spend the whole week here. I can imagine spending an entire week just going to seminars, forums, and workshops. I can also imagine spending an entire week just looking at airplanes.

Low: Had to leave Tuesday morning. I have made the pledge that if I am not coming back next year with work, I'll be camping underneath an airplane wing.

High: It was awesome to meet some RV people.

Low: It really sucked to be introducing myself as a former RV builder. I feel like I gave up...ugh.

High: After telling people that, many responses were "Oh, you're still an RV builder...you're just paused."

In the meantime, I think an older spam can might fit my 2 adults plus 2 future small kids mission profile in a more economical fashion, but I managed to snag a few pictures of RV-10s, and the wife likes the airplane a lot.

Maybe we'll spend a few years with a 172 and then try to buy an almost-completed kit.

Anyway, bottom line, I'm sticking around...I bet you guys thought you had gotten rid of me.

I was just thinking about you and your build log yesterday and was wondering if you kept up with VAF. Glad to see you're still around and had a good trip to OSH.

Andrew, good to see you still around. I saw the HJ's Monday. I listened for your name in the flight crew and was worried you'd moved on when I didn't hear it. Glad to hear you're still there. Your planes are wonderful and you have much to be proud of there. My wife said "They're so quiet!"

I am sure my build is going slower now that you're not building a few months ahead of me. :)

Back