What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad 3 Mounts

DSmith

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the IPAD 3 and want to mount it on the right side of the panel with it tilted toward me - the left edge of it next to the right side of the center radio stack. This is in an RV-7A.

Has anyone used the Ram suction mount on smooth paint and will the adjustments allow the mount and IPAD to rest close to the panel? It looks like the suction mount and ball stick out quite a bit.

Have you found a better way to mount the IPAD 3 in that position?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Danny

IPAD

Sorry, I can't answer your question. You're the first post I can reply to. How do you post a new message in here? I've asked Doug Reeves twice and he won't get back to me.

Thanks,

Starduster77

Posting a New Question

From the section page such as RV General Discussion/News select the New Thread box at the top left corner of the Threads page. Hope this helps.

Danny,

I have used a RAM suction cup mount direct to a blank part of my panel.

The iPad has enough mass and momentum on the RAM arm that it may break suction in turbulence. I only had this happen once and it may have also been related to the climb to altitude (temperature drop and air pressure drop).

The other interesting note is that I have two different versions of the RAM suction cup. One worked well, the other would not hold the iPad for any length of time. Both were fine with an iPhone.

The visual difference between the two suction cups I have is the length of the little paddles which you rotate to tighten the suction. The one with 1/4" paddles does not hold well but the one with 5/8" long paddles is pretty good. The important physical difference is the latter has softer rubber in the suction cup itself.

My final solution was to find a solid location to bolt on a RAM ball plate.

Thanks for the replies - I was hoping for some better assurances that the Ram socket mount would hold well on smooth paint but I'll just have to try it and see.

I cannot give you any advice on the suction cup but I mounted mine on the right wind screen frame (on a slider) I took out one of the bolts that holds the frame to the longeron and bolted a RAM ball mount to it. This picture shows the location of the iPad in the cockpit. Sorry but don't have a pic of the actual mount.

This is not a very good pic but it is all I have available to show:
iPad%2520installation.jpg

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

I sure would not trust the suction mount. I bolted on a ball to the panel, seems to be a good place and works well.
2nhi438.jpg
[/IMG]

Check out www.airgizmos.com they have an ipad mount that screws into standard panel mounting holes, and also a flush ipad mini mount that I am thinking of incorporating into my panel. The ipad mount looks secure and close to the panel.

Chris

Here is my setup

I bolted a ram round ball mount to the panel. You could probably use a stick on one also. I don't think you are going to be happy with a suction mount.

panel.jpg

One more for the ball plate

I did the ball plate c/w a couple top to bottom stiffening angles and am glad I did. They mount with 4" arm is rock soild and though most of the time it is folded back toward the right corner, there is a bit of leverage and I don't think a suction cup would do the job when you need it most; turbulence!

Back