What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New weight after paint and interior finish etc.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Just had the plane weighed again after having it painted, and installing the remaining components of the interior------carpet, glare shield cover, side panels, baggage door organizer and adding the SL 30 and Zaon XRX.

Old weight was 1631, new weight is 1677. Same scales and operator, so should be good figures.

Due to more surface area behind C/G getting painted, and moment arm of such, the C/G moves aft a slight amount too, but only a fraction of an inch.

All in all, pretty :D with the new numbers.

Last edited:
Helium in your tires?

Or did you mean 1631 and 1677?

Just had the plane weighed again after having it painted, and installing the remaining components of the interior------carpet, glare shield cover, side panels, baggage door organizer and adding the SL 30 and Zaon XRX.

Old weight was 631, new weight is 677. Same scales and operator, so should be good figures.

Due to more surface area behind C/G getting painted, and moment arm of such, the C/G moves aft a slight amount too, but only a fraction of an inch.

All in all, pretty :D with the new numbers.

Helium in your tires

ACK-----thanks for catching that.

Got it fixed now.

Only off a ton, if you add them both up:rolleyes:

Interesting to compare to my '55 Cessna 180, which we weighed recently. It came to 1,617 pounds. Strut-braced so perhaps a lighter wing, but rubber bladder tanks which are heavy. No wheel fairings installed, but the attachment fittings are on the plane. Continental O-470 and a two-blade CS prop. Tailwheel, which is probably lighter.

Steam gauges and a generator, minimal avionics.

Dave

Mike, Great paint job. I noticed you have added louvers on the side of your lower cowl. Did you have cooling issues and if so, did this help?

Yes, I did have cooling issues, and yes the louvers did help.

I am still having cooling problems, but not too bad anymore if i keep the climb reasonable.

Next thing to try is mag timing, I think they are at 25, and I want to try backing up to 20.

Back