What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple Dies - Which To Use Where?

David Paule

Well Known Member
I've got the standard dimple dies, the tank dies and the substructure dies, and couldn't figure out which to use where. I finally called Cleaveland and Mike explained it to me. In case anyone else is as confused as I was, here's the guide.

Standard dies - every skin EXCEPT for the tank skins.

Tank dies - Fuel tank skins only, unless you don't have the substructure dies, in which case use the tank dies for the fuel tank substructure too.

Substructure dies - all subsurface parts like stiffeners, ribs, formers, etc., including the fuel tanks.

Hope this helps.

Dave

If I'm doing three layers, like the wingwalk area, I use the standard dies on the skins, the tank dies on the middle layer, and the substructure dies on the ribs. I don't know how necessary it is, but it works for me.

so all the substructure items have to use the substructure dies and tank dies for the tanks? I bought the die kit from Cleavland Tools and they indicated that I had all the dies I would need to build the plane.

What is the difference between the skin dies and the substructure dies?

Thanks
ken

Back