What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Texan's in Alberta

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
I have been talking with Martin Via e-mail for months now on their trip north they were planning. They were asking about where to keep the plane in the Calgary area and if it was ok to leave them outside. East side of the rocks in July is not a good place for an airplane outside. Hail could happen any day. I said come to High River. I will get you all in cover. 2-tens and a 7A.

I had planned for a trip over to Arlington to pick up a windshield for my Superstol project and spend the day. They would be leaving Penticton on Saturday morning. The plan was to clear Customs in Abbotsford and meet them in Penticton to all fly back together. That way they got a bit of a tour of the local area as best as I could do. It is quite rugged country and some of the most beautiful at the same time. Local knowledge would make the flight much more enjoyable.

I landed in Penticton just as they were paying the fuel bill. We departed as a flight of four south bound to gain altitude to clear the first ridge before turning east. The flight took us just north of Castlegar, then Nelson, over Kooteny lake, Cranbrook, Fernie, Frank slide and into Lethbridge to pick up their rental car. Because of Stampede, there was none available in Calgary. After that, did the quick 30min flight to High River.

My wife picked up some platters and I had beer and water in the fridge. (What more does a hanger need) It made for a great ending to a great day of flying with new friends from the south.

Early morning rise in Arlington to start the days adventure.

rwjfjl.jpg

The entire group in Lethbridge to get the rental van.

oj4avn.jpg

Arrived in Highriver

iqa7wn.jpg

All planes tucked away safe. Daves RV10 is in a friends hanger.
9sw9li.jpg

The crew, ready to explore Alberta.
Left to right. Tom, Bonnie, Wendy, Dave, Me, Claudia, Martin. Our kids too, Emma and Gavin.
2vl4e2q.jpg

We sure hope they have a wonderful week in the Canmore area.

Last edited:
great hospitality!

Thank you Troy! Check out our SPOT tracking link below to get a picture of where in Canada Troy lead us through. It was a very beautiful flight with Troy's commentary providing a lot of interesting info. It was a great trip.

Troy, you've got some of VAF's finest up there with you. Thank you for taking good care of them!

We are honoured to have them here. I have always watched their travels each year and said to my wife they are doing it right, it is what we are going to do when we retire.:D Many, many years from now. We will just do it 2 weeks at a time until then:) Travelling all summer in their plane without going home. Just amazing.

Troy, your hospitality is second to none! We enjoyed meeting you and your family and the guided tour thru the Canadian Rockies has been the highlight of this trip. Knowing our birds are safe from the occasional nasty thunderstorms lets us enjoy our stay in the spectacular Banff area without worry. We had a wonderful hike to lake Agnes tea house and Beehive at Lake Louise yesterday wich left this group of geezers stunned by the beauty we saw and suitably tired.

We are looking forward to seeing you Saturday. The Canadian west is spectacularly beautiful and well worth a trip for those from south of the border.

Martin Sutter
Building and Flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Councelor

Some day I will do " The Trail of VAF Elite". Well before you retire Troy. Keep that hangar fridge stocked.

Last edited:
Picture from flight

Here are some pictures of the flight. Troy is ahead on left and Dave is on the right. Martin is off the right wing.

9f47db66249fd212531df219e589885f.jpg

36c081c8a2df136c2cf1ae119ca50717.jpg

Great flight!

Last edited:
That's a great flight... More of our neighbours from the south should come on up and see how tame these big scary towering cumulogranite formations really are. When you grow up next to them, they are a lot less worrisome.

Good to see you at Arlington, Troy, sorry we didn't have more time to chat... Maybe next year I can find more time and i'll bring a tent. :)

Back