What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New XP 320! - Prop Governor on Fixed Pitch?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Just received my new Superior XP 0-320:D One thing that confuses me is that I had the engine built for fixed pitch however it has a prop governor installed and an oil line from the front of the case to the prop governor (or maybe its an adapter). There is an entry in the Logbook stating the governor and oil line must be left in tact. Seems Odd.

Why?

Brown line at bottom
xpuj38.jpg

The oil pressure the builds up in the hollow of the nose bore of the crankshaft is being vented back through the hose and adapter. Without venting that pressure you will blow the front plug out of the shaft and have a big oil leak. If you wanted to remove the hose and drive adapter to save weight then you could remove the front plug in the shaft and pierce the rear one to provide a vent for the oil pressure and then install anew front plug. Of course if you ever wanted to go constant speed, you would then have to replace the rear plug with a non pierced one.

Thanks,

The oil pressure the builds up in the hollow of the nose bore of the crankshaft is being vented back through the hose and adapter. Without venting that pressure you will blow the front plug out of the shaft and have a big oil leak. If you wanted to remove the hose and drive adapter to save weight then you could remove the front plug in the shaft and pierce the rear one to provide a vent for the oil pressure and then install anew front plug. Of course if you ever wanted to go constant speed, you would then have to replace the rear plug with a non pierced one.

Is it very common to do it this way? I guess I figured they would have just plugged and pierced. I guess this would make for a pretty simple swap to constant speed. :)

Back