VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 AM

Default "Homemade airplane"

Took a friend flying last Sunday in my "homemade airplane". Her daughter in law was very concerned that she was going to go fly in a homemade airplane. Maybe I am a little sensitive to the term after spending thousands of hours and dollars building my homemade plane. I'm sure this happens to most who build a plane due to the lack of knowledge of just what goes in to one of the projects so I'm asking what experiences the rest of you have had with this sort of response when you complete your plane. What are some of your better responses when you are asked about flying a "homemade plane"
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).

Two words: Custom Built! Rosie
Paul A. "Rosie" Rosales (VAF #5)
Rosamond Skypark (L00), CA
RV-6A, 3899.9 hours since 7/4/2000
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 AM

Default I think it is a common response and not unjustified

We have to earn respect and support one airplane at a time and one flight at a time. There is no detail manufacturing quality assurance, there is no configuration control, there is no robust system of integration and test ... I almost never give anyone a ride but when I do they know they are riding in a high performance experimental airplane and I know that even more than they. That is why we built it. If they are concerned about what they don't know, I think that is healthy and I do not take offense.

Bob Axsom

Last edited by Bob Axsom : 07-07-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 AM

Well when people ask me about my airplane, I tell them I work (soon to be retired from) for Boeing. (I leave the part out that I do not work with Boeing Commercial Airplanes.) One of the first things after that that I tell them is that I make my living as an Engineer, then follow on with being a FAA Licensed Mechanic for Airplanes and Power Plants. I then let them know that the FAA thought enough of my skills to make me a DAR to represent them on Initial Inspections of airplanes that other people built at home.

The airplane made its first flight almost 16-years ago in September 1997. Since that time it has been as far North as Fort Yukon Alaska and that is north of the Arctic Circle. It has been out to the Bahamas and has flown across the US over 20 times. I also let them know that I am a Commercial pilot with a 2nd class medical certificate that is needed to be paid to fly.

Mark Twain popularized the phrase: "There are lies, ****ed lies, and statistics." All I will add is that some people make good used car salespeople. We (all of us that fly Custom Built / Amateur Built / Experimental aircraft) need to use the correct words to describe our aircraft and what we do.
Flying
2,900+ hours

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 AM

I just explain that this aircraft was built by the person who's butt will be in it during every hour of flight; not by a person who wants to put in 40 hrs. of work and go home for the weekend.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Beautiful

Howard, that is one beautiful "homemade airplane!" I only hope mine turns out half that well.

RV-7A
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 AM

When I fly for young eagles and COPA Kids they have no idea it is "homemade". I usually say nothing until we are back on the ground. At least to the ones that are very nervous to even go. Others I explain while airborne. When I spill the beans, generally they don't believe me.. Until I explain a bit more about the process and how it became what it is. It is a real I opener for most of the kids. Face it, these planes do not look "homemade"

RV10 Built and Flying Since Feb 2009
530hrs Plus
RV9 Built and Sold
Avid Aerobat Built and Sold
SuperSTOL Build Underway
Dues paid 2014
New Family Travel (B)Log: http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Please read your operation limitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
When I fly for young eagles and COPA Kids they have no idea it is "homemade". I usually say nothing until we are back on the ground. At least to the ones that are very nervous to even go. Others I explain while airborne. When I spill the beans, generally they don't believe me.. Until I explain a bit more about the process and how it became what it is. It is a real I opener for most of the kids. Face it, these planes do not look "homemade"
Paragraph (12); " The pilot in command of this aircraft must advise each passenger of the experimental nature of this aircraft, and explain that it does not meet the certification requirements of a standard certificated aircraft."
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 AM

Default home made

I haven't finished mine yet but do get the questions from visitors. I respond with comparisons of performance between Vans and certificated and the cost. I also remind them it was home builders who started building airplanes.
Then I give them the $.10 tour inside the house. Most will ask where we bought the furniture. My response..."I built it! " They usually understand at that point.
Our furniture will last for at least another generation if the kids or grand kids take care of it. I hope my home made plane lasts as well.
Donated 12/14/2013
RV-7A #73391 (800 hours)
N511RV reserved
Tail feathers done. Tanks are leak free!
Working on wings
My Builder's blog/log
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Once on this forum, somebody had a biting response for the comment "Oh, it was just a kit". Unfortunately I have forgotten the response, but am needing it again.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/catego...903&category=0