What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane loaded with Planes

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
We all know that RV's are great traveling planes. They will also carry a lot of cargo. In my preparation to fly the RV to Muncie, Indiana to compete in Academy of Model Aeronautics Nationals Soaring competition, I had to figure out a way to haul my models. The models included 3 Two meter spanned planes. The wings are in two panels. No problem there. Two others are 3.8 and 4.0 meter planes. These wings are in 3 sections. The fuselages are over 5' in length. The 4.0 meter plane center wing panel and fuselage would not fit. Fortunately my flying partner was driving and was able to transport.

I took the passenger seat out and laid a sleeping bag down for padding. The trick was fitting the long pieces. This is what it looks like to have the planes, support gear and clothes.

v457vd.jpg
[/IMG]

m25y1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are two shots of the types of models that were carried. I'm sponsored by Futaba hence the orange and the "NASCARing" of the planes with company logos. I was fortunate to place 3rd in both Classes of competition in very tough conditions.

10qicgh.jpg
[/IMG]

These are the 2 Meter planes

2utj1xw.jpg
[/IMG]

These are the Unlimited Class planes.

The trip out was uneventful. Due to the many fires burning, it was quite hazy all the way to the Mississippi. The trip home was typical, East to West. Minor headwinds and smooth until hitting Eastern New Mexico. Also typical is the threading through isolated small thunderstorms in New Mexico and Arizona. Thank goodness for XM weather. I was going to try to get some photos of the cells but it was too bumpy.

I always stop at Dalhart, TX both directions for fuel. On the way back I checked in for DHT and there was an Osprey in the pattern. What a sight!!

2vvnrtg.jpg
[/IMG]

In summary, 2600 miles, 16 hours, 48 frequency changes, cool scenery, 2 places in National competition with lots of friends and another great trip is in the books.

As Rosie would say, "keep pounded those rivets."

Next stop, OSHKOSH!!!

Congratulations!!

Wow, only two people in the entire country were able to beat you:D:D

Good job Darwin.

Ah the memories

AMA 1967 (my number). Free Flight Gas all classes, A2 Nordic Glider. etc. Homemade box of plywood and corner pieces full of models strapped to a car top carrier driven to the Nationals at NAS Dallas, TX; Willow Grove, PA; and Glenview, IL. Standing in the processing lines and the actual competition. Fun times. One of the guys in our local free flight club - The Kirkwood Thermaleers - John Yardley - became the Project Engineer for Project Mercury and later the President of the McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co,

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The NATS and passing it on....

AMA NATS
1978 Lake Charles - 1st in Standard Class R/C Sailplanes. Then another few places in '84 through '86 in 2 Meter, Standard and Unlimited.
Flew Control Line Stunt for a few years in the early '90s, never got beyond Advanced but always placed and my models were front row in the finish competition.

Now cutting out parts for girlfriend's grandchildren to build a few Delta Darts and the first C/L model I had success with when I was their age.

Glad to see R/C soaring is still active, Darwin! One of these days I need to catch up on the current designs - I still have a closet full of polyhedral winged floaters. Don't think they would penetrate like the clean models you hold.
Have you ever run into Leon Kincaid? Built a lot of his Scooters - all sizes-in those days. One of the nicest people I ever met in modeling.

I'm in the process of sending some older models across to Maryland to help bring on the youth.

A great friend of mine has decided to give up.

At S & F, one of the guys from Harford County who flies models was talking about this and that and I suddenly realised that there was possibly a connection to my good mate.

There was - they worked in parallel many years ago in ordnance and the beginnings of artillery satellite insertion.

Anyhow, I have wrestled a couple of models out of my buddy - the first one came with me to Florida last month and went FedEx ground in a few days.

I now have a problem.........

The second model is a 4 metre span Multiplex Alpina :D

A glorious sailplane that I lusted after for years and with tears and supplication, John agreed to donate.

I guess it will be a custom box, some raised eyebrows as I rest it in the corner of the A330 flightdeck for the transit and customs at SFB will just say.......

Oh, no Skipper, not more stuff !

Sometimes, the most bizarre connections just make those hairs stand up......

Good times. AMA 136910 in 1987, still current. Had another number when I was 10 in 1981 but my dad and I didn't renew for a couple years in the early 80's. Still active, turbine waiver holder and general airplane geek all things considered. Soloed in a P-47 at age 11 (House of Balsa P-47, that is...) :D

Mike, be careful what you send to Maryland! Our esteemed Gov. Martin O'Malley (MOM) will find a way to tax it. We now have a rain tax in Md.!
:confused:

Back