What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Planes" models

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
DSC02135.jpg

I picked a couple of these up at Wal-Mart this morning. There are several versions including friction motor models. I picked the small individually packaged models. They are substantially built out of several different materials. The Gee Bee cowl is a separate piece that can be moved a bit relative to the fuselage. The propellers and main gear wheels turn. The PT-6 exhaust protrudes and the Gee Bee scarf is a flexible material.

The Gee Bee is larger than the ag-plane so I would say the scale is different but not hugely so.

To sum up, that is about the best $10 I have ever spent in my life ($5 each). Fun for kids of all ages and great ground school aids.

There is also an inexpensive ($1) book suitable for reading to small children. I found it at Target on Wednesday, and have read it to Alex (our 2.5 year old) a couple of times. He already knows the 4 characters that were featured in the book. ;-)

Dusty at KOSH

Air Tractor factory is sending up a brand new AT502 which happens to be serial number 3000! it should be making its initial flight next week out of Olney Tx . It will be on display in the Pratt and Whitney tent who is celebrating 50 years of production of their PT6 engine. I believe that is scheduled for Wednesday. The reason I know this? Mike told me he is flying it up prior to the show week. I understand the Disney plane which is a characterature of the AT502 and painted up same will be there also.

...The Gee Bee is larger than the ag-plane so I would say the scale is different but not hugely so...

I just looked at the trailer and now realize that the models are true to scale as it is in the movie. I hope I don't get too much into nit-picking about a fantasy movie about imaginary airplanes but my first impression on seeing a Gee Bee was "wow, that is a really little airplane." The impression is different here.

DSC02138.jpg

saw a picture of the corsair model. Looks pretty cool. Might have to get one for my niece to play with....when she's in my office at work....where she's never been...

Toy RV

I sure would like it if one of these toy company would make a toy model of an RV. I'd buy at least 3 of them.

I picked a couple of these up at Wal-Mart this morning. There are several versions including friction motor models. I picked the small individually packaged models.

Larry, are these models about 3" long? I've been looking online and have had a heck of a time finding anyone selling them. So far it's infrared-remote controlled ones, much larger "talking" ones, etc. Although, the larger GeeBee has a button on the bottom that when pressed spins the prop. No indication whether it makes radial engine noises or not... :)

Larry, are these models about 3" long? I've been looking online and have had a heck of a time finding anyone selling them. So far it's infrared-remote controlled ones, much larger "talking" ones, etc. Although, the larger GeeBee has a button on the bottom that when pressed spins the prop. No indication whether it makes radial engine noises or not... :)

The ag-plane is about 3 inches and the Gee Bee is about 4 inches. I would have gotten the Corsair also, but there weren't any at my local Wal-Mart.

IMG_2673.jpg

I think the hex socket underneath is for use with a game I saw there that seemed to use the same size models.

IMG_2675.jpg

The propellers on these are free wheeling.

The Target in my area had a bunch of the Planes models, plus the ground support vehicles, the FBO setup, and a few other things.

Alex, our 2 1/2 year old enjoyed playing with some of it after his nap today. :)

The Target in my area had a bunch of the Planes models, plus the ground support vehicles, the FBO setup, and a few other things.

Alex, our 2 1/2 year old enjoyed playing with some of it after his nap today. :)

Did he make you stop playing with them when he woke up, or did he let you play along? :)

Back