What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A mother and her chick.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
The old hen protecting the whippersnapper.

Ray Lawrence was here putting new wing walk material on the 402 when a huge storm came up so we sent the -4 to her Mom:)

DSCN04261_zpsf38fbf94.jpg

Best,

Pierre,
I was watching an Air Tractor spraying fields between Boise and Caldwell the other day. It made me think of you. This guy was much higher than I had seen in the past and did quite a bit of other flying around that usual. Maybe he just had water and was practicing!

Cool looking at both the planes at that angle. They do look alike.

Chicks

Hey Pierre,
Great photo, your turbine is almost as long as the 4..

I am hopeful that now finally with the engine, Fit the cowling, prop and spinner and then off to paint. Perhaps 2 months. We're trying hard. I thought we'd make Oshkosh but it will be next yea.

Talked to Hoppy whom you met a long time ago and it was he that took you for the ride in the commander.

He is now in Nebraska and retired from everything.

Smilin' Jack.

Hey Pierre,
Talked to Hoppy whom you met a long time ago and it was he that took you for the ride in the commander.

He is now in Nebraska and retired from everything.

Smilin' Jack.

Wow...small world indeed. Send me his contact info if you have it. I got my glider rating under him in Thomson, Ga. years ago.

Thanks,

Higher nowadays.

Pierre,
. This guy was much higher than I had seen in the past and did quite a bit of other flying around that usual. Maybe he just had water and was practicing!

Cool looking at both the planes at that angle. They do look alike.

Air Tractor and Texas A&M university did many studies including droplet sizes for drift control and also swath uniformity. They found that a spray boom height of ten feet above the crop canopy produced the most uniform, streak-free coverage, so we went up to that level these days, instead of having our tires scrub the crop as in olden days.

Best,

Sonny has a big brother!!

Our little Sonny has a big brother! We took this picture in Medford, Ok.

image.jpg

Pierre,
This guy was about 30-50' over the crops and was going from field to field. He had to be just practicing, but there was something coming out of the booms so I figured he was just testing or having a good time!

It looked like quite a bit of fun, that's for sure, so if must not have been work!

Air Tractor and Texas A&M university did many studies including droplet sizes for drift control and also swath uniformity. They found that a spray boom height of ten feet above the crop canopy produced the most uniform, streak-free coverage, so we went up to that level these days, instead of having our tires scrub the crop as in olden days.

Best,

Rockwoodrv9
He was probably appling dry fertilizer to his crops every time I've had done on my farm the fly at about 50 feet to give it a chance to spread out.

Rich

Correct

Rockwoodrv9
He was probably appling dry fertilizer to his crops every time I've had done on my farm the fly at about 50 feet to give it a chance to spread out.

Rich

Yep, around powerline/treetop height to get a better/wider swath.

Best,

Great photo Pierre.

Picked up my brother-in-law at Burke co last Thursday. Returning him tomorrow. Trip report coming. If I get a chance I'll swing over to your airport to say "Hey".

C'mon by

Hi Gary, everybody is very busy with all the rains we've had, so keep a good lookout from all directions for ag airplanes here and at Burke County. Be glad to meet you....I'm in-and-out every thirty to forty minutes.

Pull up in front of my hangar (the one surrounded by pine trees).

Best,

Back