What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aurora photoshoot

hydroguy2

Well Known Member

A friend flew photographer Kenton Rowe in a Rans S-7 with the door open last Sunday. My friend Neil has done a lot of photo ops, so flew right seat to position the plane properly. We were at 70-75kts for most of it. Here's a sample of the pics.
Aurora slideshow

B

Last edited:
Amazing slideshow with great combination of colors! Ask him to catch prop disk next time. Tell him I can't repost it on a Russian website with prop stopped.

OMG!!! Is the -7 gliding (with the engine stopped!), in formation, taking photos of another plane *AND* of landscape features?!?! NOT setting a very good example...

(sorry - had to take the shot)

Beautiful photos and beautiful plane!!! Thank you for sharing with us all.

The photo platform was a Rans S-7 with the door open and Kenton with his feet on the strut. It was flying as fast as it safely could in that configuration. We on the other hand were slowflight mode. I don't have any formation experience, so Neil was flying from the right seat. I was keeping track of all the birds and keeping a close eye on airspeed. (notice the flaps) we were under 70kts at times but mostly 70-75. When we were at the north end of the lake the puffy fog lifting off the water coupled with the rising heat off the hills made things exciting a couple times. When we got over the ground by the Silos, the photographer said "lets come around , but you guys get low"....Neil said at this speed we aren't going much lower." You can fix a lot of things with Altitude.

I wish I had some full disc prop pics also, But I ain't complaining about these pics.

Nice, thanks for sharing with us.

I really like the ones over the shore, background colors work great with the plane.

Brian, those photos are SPECTACULAR! I enjoyed every one of them. I hope you'll submit them to Vans for the next calendar. This is definitely calendar material, or the cover of some aviation magazine. :)

Yikes, you wrote "Aurora Photoshoot" and I suddenly had a flashback to flights north of Las Vegas in a previous life. ;)

Great shot

Brian,
Those look like the old grain silos on the west side of Canyon Ferry. Neat shot!
Brent

Brian,
Those look like the old grain silos on the west side of Canyon Ferry. Neat shot!
Brent

That's them...the community out there is called "the Silos". I remember as a kid we drove that road and the Silos were about the only thing out there.

Yikes, you wrote "Aurora Photoshoot" and I suddenly had a flashback to flights north of Las Vegas in a previous life. ;)

You mean the string-of-pearls contrails ostensibly from the phased-combustion proof-of-concept? I heard that never happened.

Back