What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of Crazy Glue on canopy

petersb

Well Known Member
I have a small section of fiberglass fairing separated from the plexi. I wish to use thin crazy glue to wick in and bond the small section.

Will this damage the plexi?

Last edited:
What fl-mike said! There are specific adhesives for plexi. Around here it is usually available at local model airplane shops.

An important thing to know is what actual type of plastic the canopy is made of. I think it's polycarbonate, but you'd want to verify before getting the glue.

5 minute epoxy from the hardware store. Whip up a 1/16th oz and use your little whipping stick to drip in a couple drops. Wipe excess immediately with coleman fuel rag. That is probably safest for paint and plexi.

On the plexi... no. What others said. I have used where my composite fairing was separating from the front deck successfully. It wicks under there very well and holds like... well... crazy glue!

Just to clarify the issue, I laid up a 1 inch strip of glass to cover the rivit line at the front bow of the slider canopy.

A small section, 2 x 1/2 inch, appears to have not bonded with the plexi. The thought of using a thin glue like crazy glue is because of its wicking properties. If the plexi is fogged by the crazy.. It would not show under the glass.

I can't see that epoy etc would wick under the glass.

Plastic Glue

I got a product form our local plastic store TAP Plastic. It wicks like super glue but does not haze it. They use it to glue the plastic together even clear and it works on plexiglass I don't know about our canopy.

I got a product form our local plastic store TAP Plastic. It wicks like super glue but does not haze it. They use it to glue the plastic together even clear and it works on plexiglass I don't know about our canopy.

Thanks Dan, I will look for TAP glue. It is the wicking properties I am looking for.

Peter

Zap

Zap products make a plastic safe instant glue. Model shops should have it. Also check Aircraft Components and Equipment. (ACE Hardware):)

TAP plastics also is a good source for info and products. Weldon 3 is very runny and safe on our canopies and TAP has it.

Back