What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A help converting to -6

n32rv

I'm New Here
I have a rv6a , wanting to convert it to rv6, can anyone tell me if the gear legs I now have on my 6a will work on my new rv6 motor mount that I am fixing to order? Or must I also order new 6 legs?
Also looking to buy a 6motor mount.
Thanks
James

6A legs will not work. You will need a new eng. mount, and legs. Also you might need to beef up the last fuselage frame with a doubler, per the plans. The area around where the new tailwheel will mount is different in the -6 than it is in the -6A.

Suggest you do a search on the VAF site, as this has been discussed thoroughly over the years.

Standby: Experts will check in shortly. I am not an expert. And YMMV.

Pete is correct about needing a new engine mount and gear legs.
Also re-plumbing the brake lines

The other differences were at the F-611 and F-612 bulkheads.

The 612 was a single bulkhead member (would need to change to a double) on the 6A but you would have to remove it for the tail spring mount installation anyway so not a problem.

On the 6A the stab attach bars on the F-611 were tapered narrower at the bottoms for weight reduction and I think they were installed parallel to each other (instead of getting closer together near the bottom to match the tail spring weldment bolt locations). This would not work with tail spring mount, so you may have to also install a new F-611 bulkhead. This would require re-drilling the horizontal stab. attach bolt holes.

Back