Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 PM

Default New Rotax SB - We all replace fuel pumps?

On June 24, 2013 Rotax released a new SB on the old style fuel pumps. It is issued as "Recommended" rather than "Mandatory."
Before this one, all of the Rotax SBs about fuel pumps, fuel hoses, oil leaks, washer replacement, improperly torqued oil pump bolts, and possible crankshaft journal crack have been not applicable to my engine serial #.
Here is the SB (actually 2 of them issued the same day), I figured someone else would start this thread:

http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_...sb-912-063.pdf
This is 14 pages
http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_...-912-063UL.pdf
This is 2 pages

The SB notes that "all fuel pumps have a 5 year life" in accordance with the Line Maintenance Manual. Thus fuel pumps prior to 2008 (with s/n starting 07. or 06.) should have already been replaced. It goes on to say that all fuel pumps with part # 892542 and 892546 (mine) are affected and also lists engine serial number ranges.
Fuel pump types 893110, 893114, 893115 are not affected.

The 14 page version has the details for replacing AND reusing the existing fuel lines and there is a video on that as well. Basically you cut the two old fuel lines at the pump then put them on the new pump with 4 of those Oetiker band clamps (2 for the rubber, 2 bigger ones for the firesleeve.) Of course you have the 5-year Rotax Rubber Replacement Recommendation to deal with...

The new pumps have longer connectors on them that make up for the cut-off length of the existing fuel line.

I have not inquired about price. My old-style fuel pump has less than 60 hours and has shown no leaks. I imagine there might be a "run" on them. Since it is "recommended" rather than "mandatory" I imagine there is no under-warranty price break. Anyone know? What are y'all doing?

Let's hear from our friends at Lockwood!

Bill H.
N412BR "Sweetie" Flying, just finished 1st Annual Inspection!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM

You covered it very well , Bill. I was a bit surprised when I discovered that the changes finally caught up with our style of pumps (ie 892546). It seems to me there was an earlier iteration that exempted that series pump. The ugly part of the replacement to me is removal of carb bowls which don't appear to be a fun thing. The big question is what to do, why, and by when? Before I rec'd the Rotaxowner notice yesterday my pump was fine, I thought. Now not so sure. I will see what Lockwood says as they are a good Rotax source of knowledge. I suspect maybe it will range from do it now to wait till it's five yrs old. Likely it will be next annual insp. We'll see.
Dick Seiders 120093
Old 06-29-2013, 03:17 PM

There is no need to do anything to the carbs to install the new fuel pump. See the video. You just (basically) cut the fuel pump ends of the existing lines and connect them to the newly installed fuel pump. The other end is unchanged.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Hey Bill, I believe the video says to check the bowls for potential contamination from the cutting of fuel lines. (twice).
Dick Seiders
Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Looks to me like if you cut carefully and rinse (maybe with a hypo) you wont get any contamination. Also rinse out the new fuel pump. I think you may cause more problems than you solve by messing with the other end of the carbs... (I'm a MikeBusch-ian"). I will re-watch because I don't remember them actually showing doing that step...
Perhaps there is some confusion with the Rotax SB having to do with some improper fuel lines they supplied that were breaking up and causing contamination.

Last edited by Bill_H : 06-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM

Bill, see p 14 , 3.6.2 of SB
Dick
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 PM

It's not that hard to check the carb bowels and I sure recommend it after cutting fuel hoses. Many of the Flight Design CT's turned 5 about a year ago and there were numerous problems related to particles in the fuel system after the mandated 5 yr hose change. Problems were related to hose brand but also carb hoses vs. FI hoses. But, the main problem appeared to be how carefully the hose was cut.

As for the SB, isn't it advisory? That, and being ELSA, there is no need to do anything. Right?? What am I missing? Having said that, I would be replacing my pump if I had a flying -12. To me, it's not worth ignoring the SB for a couple hundred bucks. On my CT it gets replaced for sure since I'm up against the 5 years

As for price, CPS is working up a price including the various pieces and clamps. I expect Kevin to post a price any day now on the CT forum.
Rotax Service, Maintenance, and Heavy Maintenance Trained
Building an RV-12, N7878H reserved
Flying a Flight Design CTSW
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM

I changed the pump early on - read ZERO HRS - because I didn't like the idea of raw fuel in the cowling from the old weep hole.

Rotax has a five year "all rubber" replacement requirement that will set you back about $1000 USD. Now, they've upped the ante to five years on the fuel pumps.

Since I ride around with my fat keester tied to the reliability of the Rotax huffing and puffing reliably in front of me, I'm reluctant to bad-mouth my power partner. But -- I will say they seem to be run by marketeers who would like you to replace the entire engine every five years to pump the P&L bottom line (even if it only has 200 hours), and Austrian lawyers (I thought we only had those parasites in the USA?) - while bragging about their 2000 hour TBO (about 10-15 change-outs of everything on the engine.....).

As I recall, these are the same guys who spec'd (and shipped) fuel lines whose interior linings were incompatible with gasoline.

Pardon me for being a "non-believer." Actually - I AM a believer - in Mike Bush and his minimalist approach. Messing with things causes more messes than not messing with them. The airlines learned this decades ago and went to "On-Condition" maintenance eons ago.

Meanwhile - I have a Zero Time old pump that I'm willing to part with at a reasonable price. The replacement - on a New, ZERO-Time engine -- cost me about $175 - if I remember correctly, and I have nothing to show for it except a line item on my Visa card bill.

Bob Bogash
N737G
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 PM

I plan on using NAPA hoses when my hoses need replacement. May sound like heresy, but cars run just fine on them. I bought a replacement fuel pump a few months ago, but I haven't decided when I will swap out my old "AC" pump.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM

I asked Phil Lockwood the question about replacing the pump if there were no signs of issues with it before this SB came out. He pointed me to one of his senior techs who said it wasn't worth doing. He said they have several planes make it to TBO of the engine in flight schools without replacement. I have one on my Gobosh and am trying to decide what to do with the SB as well.

Carl
http://carlsrv12.blogspot.com/