What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What a difference...with some rest

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Yesterday was hot, humid and just plane oppressive. Literally, it was a "plane" oppressive day.

I spent quite a bit of time installing the canopy latch and getting it to work smoothly. About a quarter inch of material had to be removed from the hook to allow it to catch the latch pin on the roll over bar. It all came together after lunch so it was disassembled, primed and painted.

I then took on installing the rudder. That's where I ran into difficulty. I could not get the center attach bracket to line up with hinge. It seemed an impossible task, I was tired, sweaty and seemed incapable of getting it done.

This morning after a good nights rest, the task was accomplished in 10 minutes.

What a difference a little rest makes, seems to clear out all the confusion and chaos of being tired and wiped out physically. I will venture to say the same applies to flying these machines, a little rest before flight will make a difference in how the brain processes information and reacts to it.

Boy did you identify an important skill!

It took me a while to develop that "sixth sense" of knowing at the end of the day when I was too hot and tired and should knock it off. When you've had a productive day and for a while you were making great progress it's hard to notice yourself slowing down and seemingly getting dumber and clumsier. Then that little voice says "gee, that part is expensive/was time consuming to make...are you SURE you're O.K. doing what you're about to try to do to it"?:rolleyes:

"Put the tools down and step away from the aircraft":D

Right on, David ...

Knowing when to put the tools down is one of the more important learned "skills" in building an airplane. Luckily for me, my rabid dislike of do-overs and ordering replacement parts from Vans allowed me to learn that skill early on. :) Nine times out of ten I have a much better attitude in the morning, not to mention often a better approach to the same problem.
The late-day-fatigue thing is also the reason I seldom fly in the evening, although the air temps and winds are often perfect. I just don't feel as mentally sharp late in the day as i do in the morning and thru late afternoon.

Beer Call!

Dave,

You hit the nail right on the proverbial head. Can't tell you how many times I hit that fatigue wall and wanted to just 'get her done'. Can't figure stuff out, nothing is working right and I keep making the same mistake over & over. That's the time to have a beer call and call it a day.

Thanks for the reminder,
Oly

Back