What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Father's Day Weekend Mountain Flying

douglassmt

Well Known Member
With a full-day pass in my hot little hands from the lovely Missus for all of Saturday, which happened to be forecast CAVU all day, I fueled up the Goodbye Girl
2012032516-1.jpg

and flew over to Butte to pick up my youngest son for a day of mountain flying, airstrip volunteering, and...fishing. First route was Missoula to Butte, picked up the little feller (now 21 and 6'3") and launched for Meadow Creek (0S1) for the annual work party sponsored by the MT DOT/Aeronautics Division.

This was my first real attempt with the GoPro and editing, hope you can see it in HD, it's pretty good scenery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xcq8-hEeLM

Upon landing,
IMG_1497_zpsac0c586f.jpg

the crew was given a list of chores to do on the field: paint the windsock masts, install new windsocks, repair picnic tables, chainsaw deadfall trees along the runway, weed whip around the cones marking the runway and....demolish an outhouse. Hehe, guess which one we picked? Here is part of the outhouse demo crew...me being the photographer.
IMG_1498_zps683ee914.jpg

A tree had fallen on the poor outhouse (there are two) and the USFS decided that it did not warrant repair. Thus, we commenced demolition.
IMG_1499_zpscd4ff965.jpg

There was some discussion about leaving the outhouse as an "open air" model to enhance the view and improve opportunities for writing poetry ("Here I sit, broken hearted...") and related graffiti...
IMG_1500_zps5233faee.jpg

but management decided that it all had to come down. I couldn't help but think about all the great times that had been had therein.

It was a good thing I brought the college boy along because none of the rest of us had the skills to operate the sledge hammer for breaking up the concrete foundation. It simply would not fit any hands but his. And he really beat the s&*t out of it :) Seems that Mechanical Engineering degree work is paying off.

IMG_1501_zps2a1d8337.jpg

After tearing apart the wood frame and siding, and breaking up the concrete floor and footings, we put all the concrete back in the "hole" (it was nearly full anyway, so clearly time to move on) and piled up the wood for burning at a future date.
IMG_1503_zpsfa0c3512.jpg

The job complete, we moseyed on up for lunch, which was generously donated and prepared by the EAA chapter in Kalispell, MT.
IMG_1507_zps3f14109a.jpg

IMG_1508_zps5c335ba8.jpg

After steaks and cheesecake, the fish were calling our names, so we launched
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JhDrSlDKp0
(this Youtube video is only 480p, I think because I made it too long and Youtube wouldn't accept it. I will shorten it and try to load it as 1080p, which is pretty cool)
for a short tour of the South Fork of the Flathead River downstream (north) to the Spotted Bear airstrip. Upstream of Meadow Creek, this river is one of the finest wilderness rivers for fishing and floating in the lower 48, accessible only by foot or horse. Downstream of Meadow Creek, the river drops into a canyon, then opens up onto Hungry Horse Reservoir, seen past the Spotted Bear airstrip. Spectacular.

Then back south to a nice paved strip at Benchmark (3U7).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mBM0G83PBI
It's not real clear from the video, but there were some of the squirreliest winds I've ever encountered, warned about in the AFD and expected, but we managed to put her down on the 6000'x100' paved strip - thanks largely to the power and performance of the RV - maybe a little credit to Mike Seager. Note: pilot campground is very nice and secluded.

After a couple hours of unfruitful but very sincere fly fishing, we loaded up and launched to take the little feller back to Butte, then on to home, in time for dinner with the Missus.

Have I mentioned how much I love this plane? Seriously, 4 hours on the Hobbs, unforgettable times with my youngest son, flying and landing and fishing in some of the remotest and most beautiful lands in our great country. Not even remotely envisioned 5 years ago when I started flying, or 4 years ago when I started building. The last year and a half of flying her has been spectacular and it gets better all the time. Keep pounding those rivets!

Last edited:
Nice writeup Bryan. Good job, fixing the place up. how's the runway at Meadow creek...RV smooth?

I figured I better do the yard maintenance and honey do's around here, no flying for me today.

Last edited:
Awesome Dad

Bryan

Good on you!

List that to the many qualities you have. I bet son Dan is about ready to move Dad to right seat! He will never forget those good times!

Our build is progressing sluggishly.....buisness is loading up our spare time to build.

Have great fathers day!

Great read on Sunday morning thanks 2BD. Keep editing the videos and post a link. College boy rules! :D

Nice writeup Bryan. Good job, fixing the place up. how's the runway at Meadow creek...RV smooth?

I figured I better do the yard maintenance and honey do's around here, no flying for me today.

Yep, it seemed pretty rough, especially the over run area to the south. The video doesn't really show how rough it felt. I used it for takeoff to the north (video to come) and I wouldn't do that again. I was off in very little space so I don't think I would need it. It was good to meet Jeanne finally. Nice bunch of folks.

I got the landing video edited and posted, it turned out pretty good. Now I've got the takeoff video with the camera under the wing and the landing video at Benchmark to edit. Still learning...

I got the other two videos added to the original post. I need to shorten the takeoff video and reload it in HD, which I am doing now. Still, pretty impressive quality with the GoPro. Now, if I can just figure out how to edit the darn things.

Great videos Bryan, really enjoyed them.

Love the panel too, especially the colours - is it grey and black ?

One final question -whats the red button to the right of the flap switch ?

Richard

The panel is a metallic grey, the same color as my Chevy pickup. I like it and it holds up well, doesn't glare. The panel inserts are overlays printed by my local sign shop. They work great, look great, and can be revised and/or replaced for very little effort and money. The little red button next to the flap switch is the copilot ejection button, it's connected to a cannibalized Martin Baker ejection seat that I got from a military boneyard one dark night. Don't know if it will work but I wanted it in case I REALLY needed to get rid of someone who was annoying me in the right seat. Haven't figured out how to blow the door at the same time, for right now it's the ballistic force of the ejected PNG.

Just kidding. It's a switch that shuts off everything on my right stick. In the event that I have someone there who might bump the trim or PTT switches, I can shut it all off and not worry about it. I used to have it hidden under my panel but thought I better move it so it's visible in case something happens to me :)

Nice

The little red button next to the flap switch is the copilot ejection button, it's connected to a cannibalized Martin Baker ejection seat that I got from a military boneyard one dark night. Don't know if it will work but I wanted it in case I REALLY needed to get rid of someone who was annoying me in the right seat.

Ha ha! Have occasionally wished for one of those...

Last edited:
Back