Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Places To Fly...Things to See...Things to Eat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 AM

Default any thoughts on landing at Leadville, CO?

my rv buddy is headed west with his son and are planning on going into leadville. being a flat lander i thought some ideas on doing it safely would be helpful for him. he is flying a 6 with cs prop and 180 hp. that airport runway seems short for 6,400' at 10,000' altitude. thanks for any input.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 AM

I am planning to land there this summer as well. I have basically the same plane. I don't think 6400' is going to be a problem, but I am interested to get input from people who have.
Purchased flying RV-7
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM

We took our RV-6 in there many years ago and had no problem at all.
160 hp, F/P wood prop.
At the time we left, DA was 13,500'. We took off and climbed over the mountains back to Longmont.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
my rv buddy is headed west with his son and are planning on going into leadville. being a flat lander i thought some ideas on doing it safely would be helpful for him. he is flying a 6 with cs prop and 180 hp. that airport runway seems short for 6,400' at 10,000' altitude. thanks for any input.
Rosie and I went there as a flight of two over 10-years ago. I know there are photos but cannot find them. I remember density altitude was 14,400' when we took off in formation. I remember not using full power for the formation takeoff and the takeoff roll was longer than what we expected but no issue. on runway length for an RV.

If you use the airport car to go into town for food, do NOT drive over the posted speed limit. We got pulled over for going 5 mph over the posted speed but no ticket.

I found a picture of us Condor! I was fixed pitch 180hp back then and had no problems (full of baggage too!) Rosie

3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by Rosie : 06-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 AM

Default Oxygen

Oxygen on board would be a good thing for a flat lander. Plenty of runway. Mike the manager is always there ask for Certificate of Navigation. Beautiful around there your buddy will enjoy.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Default Leadville

Just in case any one is interested, Leadville (KLVX) airport has a fourth of July cookout scheduled. Should you happen to be here during that week. Getting into Leadville has never been a problem for 339A and it's just a lowly 9A with a fixed pitch 0320 on it. Takeoff roll will be longer so be prepared for that and fly your Airspeed, not what "feels" right! Your ground reference will look different on takeoff... climb out on a hot day in 339A requires some extra time getting to altitude, but in a constant speed 0360 shouldn't be as much of problem. Contact me, if I can be of any help.

Some pics from Deb and I's visit there last fall for the pancake breakfast.

Regards,
Airport Landings

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) in The Edge

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation - a state of bliss"

Last edited by 339A : 06-13-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Scott, I love that picture of the lake, mountains, and aspen trees. That picture says it all. Thanks.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Turbo,

I do agree with Vlad to bring oxygen. It is surrounded by tall mountains and you may need to cross them. Acceleration and climb are slow (see the video below). It took much more effort for me to pull the airplane around tiedown. My flat ground lung is not accustomed to the high elevation.

My videos of landing and takeoff (filled with cheap fuel and at gross):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsi8djJ-ltM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHwbwEBiPN4

Photos (toward the end of the first album for arrival and the beginning of the 2nd album for departure):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...22144896883505
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...59223565540177
Ted Chang, VAF #681
RV-9A #91048, flying since 8/2006. 2,050 hrs.

2018 Due paid
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Great DA illustrations

Scott, Ted: thanks for the complementary input; "...fly your Airspeed, not what "feels" right!" is very well demonstrated by departure and arrival videos.

The view over the passenger-side wing in Ted's takeoff video is dramatic; the relative motion of the trees increases to very high rate before there is sufficient airspeed for a safe liftoff.

Groundspeed after landing is also significantly more than what I'm accustomed to see; my guess is there are a number of long runouts at Leadville.

Of course, that high groundspeed is very nice to have, while cruising at altitude.
RV10 sold (miss that one too!)
Figuring out what's next, and when.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM

They give flight instruction out of Leadville in 172's. I couldn't believe it either, but it is really true. That does NOT mean it is easy and that in your RV you couldn't get in trouble. The instructors have to fly in the morning and they need to know what they are doing.

It is a great place to visit and the town is pretty interesting with some nice shops. The views around there are amazing and worth the effort to get there. The fuel is cheap and people from all over the area go there to fill up.

Just fly smart and make sure you are up to date on your DA performance limits. If anyone wants a real challenge, come over the hill to Glenwood Springs Airport.
http://www.glenwoodspringsairport.com/

Not nearly as long and some interesting air currents from the canyon walls and the river at the threshold.
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection