What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuselage

dspender

Well Known Member
Getting ready to order my 10 fuselage kit. In order to maximize my freight shipping costs, are there options I should consider at this time in my build and order those now? I have understood some options other than those VAn's suggests can be considered. I have seen some write that they request VAn's not to send a certain product as they will purchase an 'after market option' rather than the VAn's recommended. This saves some kit cost and saves reshipping the unused VAn's product back to Van's. Mostly looking for products I should purchase with the fuselage and have those shipped concurrently.

IIRC, there's not much in the way of anything you really need to add or delete from the fuse kit. However, here's a few to consider:

- windshield and/or rear windows
- brake and fuel lines
- fuel selector valve
- boost pump

IMO the finish and FWF kits are where you might want to take a hard look at adding or deleting items.

Last edited:
Nothing significant

In the emp kit there may be a few things you'll want to buy or upgrade, but nothing worth the trouble of deleting from the kit. For example, you'll likely want to get better trim brackets than the ones that come in the kit or extra nutplates for fastening the lower rudder fairing (instead of riveting it in place as the plans say to do). But in these two examples you'd save maybe $5.00 deleting the brackets and you'll have plenty of opportunities to order the extra nutplates after the fact during the numerous times you'll have to reorder parts you mess up and need to replace.

Enjoy the process. We're really enjoying it a lot. I'm sure you will too.

I haven't gotten to the rudder fairings yet, but why the need to remove the lower rudder fairing and not the upper. Is it the anti collision light? Also I have not run into the term 'trim brackets' yet. Where are these?

Yep, some make the lower rudder fairing removable to access tail/strobe wiring--it's not required, just a preference thing. The trim brackets Joe's referring to are the WD-415's-- look in Section 9 of the plans. The original 415's had a single weld and were cracking in use. Van's went to a double weld and as far as I know none of those have cracked. Those brackets and many other bit's and pieces that the builder is required to fabricate throughout the plans can be bought ready made from various vendors.

Last edited:
Here's what I deleted from my fuse order (and what Van's credited me for the deduction):

> 1 C-1004-L REAR LEFT WINDOW $100 (Transparencies replaced with Cee Bailey's)

> 1 C-1004-R RIGHT REAR WINDOW $100

> 1 C-1005 WINDSHIELD RV-10 $310

> 1 WD-1006-L-PC RUDDER PEDAL $91.22 (Replaced with Control Approach pedal system)

> 1 WD-1006-R-PC RUDDER PEDAL $91.22

> 2 F-1052 RUDDER PEDAL SET $5.66 EACH

> 2 F-1052C BRAKE PDL.DBLER.PLATE $3.03 EACH

> 1 F-1052B BUNDLE 4 PER BRAKE SIDE PLATE $7.84

> 1 VENT TG-1010 L&R RV-10 HEAT BOXES (2) $125 (Replaced with stainless steel heater boxes)

> 1 BAG 487-1 FUEL VALVE RV-10 ONLY $28.46 (Replaced with Andair Valve)

The prices were current as of Dec 2012, so they have probably changed with the spring price increases.

Last edited:
Wait. You said fuse kit.

Getting ready to order my 10 fuselage kit.

Sorry. You asked about the fuse kit. I thought you said emp kit. My bad.

I just took delivery of my fuse kit and wish I deleted the windshield and rear windows (I would have purchased from here instead http://store.ceebaileys.com/category-s/1023.htm).

I also would have deleted the fuel valve. I should have checked as I thought the windscreen and windows came in the finish kit. I'm now planning to just deal with the windshield and rear windows I have, but I'll be ordering a different fuel valve.

My reason for swapping out the windows is twofold. First, the Cee Bailey windows are supposed to fit better with less cutting. And second, I can order them with some slight tint to help keep some heat out of the cabin and limit UV fading a bit.

It's not all that much more after the credit you get back from Vans.

Oil cooler mount

Dennis

It's much easier to install the oil cooler mount VA-186 when building the fuse. So worth ordering that now. (it's normally part of the firewall fwd kit)

Cheers

Peter

Ed,
with all those changes, do you know if you are gaining or loosing weight or staying pretty much the same?

Thanks,
Yuri

Ed,
with all those changes, do you know if you are gaining or loosing weight or staying pretty much the same?

Thanks,
Yuri

I don't think my changes are going to impact weight much, if at all. I don't know exactly how much the new pedal system weighs, but I'd imagine it's within a pound or two of the stock setup, one way or another.

Everything else is pretty close to the weight of the things they are replacing.

Here are the items I did:

Windows - Ceebaileys
Stainless Heatboxes - http://planeinnovations.com/heaterbypass.html
Tunnel access cover (makes inspections easier) - http://airward.com/amelia/search.as...6&ShowImages=&ShowDetails=&menuID=15~15&id=17
Cabin Step Bushing to prevent some cracking - http://www.tcwtech.com/RV-10-construction-project.htm
Parking Brake Kit - http://airward.com/amelia/search.as...6&ShowImages=&ShowDetails=&menuID=15~15&id=16
Firewall Sealant CS1900 - Vans
Fuel Pump - Andair
Fuel Selector - Andair
Baggage Door Lock - http://www.wix.com/capsteve/iflyrv10#!__baggaga-door-lock-cylinder
Interior Components - www.aerosportproducts.com
5052 Tubing for brakes and fuel- Replaces lower quality Vans supplied 3030 tubing. Can also go with flex lines from TS Flightlines or Bonaco
Control Approach Rudder Pedals

Great Lists Guys

My fuse kit is on the way to me now, and while I didn't leave anything out of the order, I can always return what things I don't like later (at the cost of some shipping). It's nice to have some ideas of what after market options are out there. Thanks for taking the time to make the lists of links.

Mark I will probably slowly pick away at your posting. You indicated the stainless heater boxes

What is the advantage? Also I received the fuselage inventory list from Van's and on that list is the
Vent TG-1010 L & R RV-10 Heat Boxes (2)). Does your suggestion cover this part?

Mark I will probably slowly pick away at your posting. You indicated the stainless heater boxes

What is the advantage? Also I received the fuselage inventory list from Van's and on that list is the
Vent TG-1010 L & R RV-10 Heat Boxes (2)). Does your suggestion cover this part?

If there is an FWF fire, the stainless boxes buy you time before flames are in the cabin. Aluminum has a much lower melting temperature.

> 1 C-1004-L REAR LEFT WINDOW $100 (Transparencies replaced with Cee Bailey's)
> 1 C-1004-R RIGHT REAR WINDOW $100
> 1 C-1005 WINDSHIELD RV-10 $310

I just ordered my fuse kit as well and now thinking about deleting some stuff.

I am wondering why you didn't delete the door windows? Cee Bailey offers them too I think.

Cee Bailey education, please..

I have my fuse kit on the way from Vans (expected Monday). I've heard the CB windows offer more tinting options, but was told that Van's windows are currently at the max tint allowable (by FARs) for night VFR flying. I've seen pics of some cool looking birds with heavily tinted windows, but I guess those people don't do a lot of night VFR. Could someone please give me a bullet point list of what they believe are the advantages to the Cee Bailey windows. I would like to consider everything before deciding which ones I'll use in my bird. Thanks.

I just ordered my fuse kit as well and now thinking about deleting some stuff.

I am wondering why you didn't delete the door windows? Cee Bailey offers them too I think.

The door windows are part of the finish kit. I'll delete them when I order that kit.

CeeBaileys are tinted the same darkness as vans. It's really an aesthetic tinting that provides a small amount of uv protection. Unless you look at the right angle it's hard to see the CeeBaileys tinting.

Back