What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip to a Dealership

Vlad

Well Known Member
A good friend of mine is driving a yellow cab in New York City. He works on his instrument ticket and we often go places. He is obsessed with cars especially those running on jet fuel. For two years he was looking for a specific model and finally found it.

A call is coming my way on a rainy Friday; hey man I need to be in RI tomorrow morning or they resell the car. Weather prognosticates perfect VFR and it's a go.

He is smart. He doesn't drive on days off. He boards LIRR locomotive and sleeps all the way to the airport. Me silly I don't ride trains tickets expensive. I hop on RV and wroom free along the shore.

Said privet to familiar tower.

Rocked wings to brave surfers and arrived at a busy airport to pick up my buddy.

BTW that busy airport is really busy. I stayed out of their class Delta monitoring tower and assessing situation. A Gulfstream checked in.
Tower to him - Gulfstream you clear to do what you want there is a traffic over the bridge.
Gulfstream pros - we got him on TKATC.
Tower - traffic over the bridge are you on frequency?
Me - Yes Ma'am and I am an EXPERIMENTAL
Tower - What's your intentions experimental?
Me - Inbound
Tower - see Gulfstream? Number 2 you cleared too.

Boy those Cessna herds in the pattern were green from envy. Good job tower :D

My buddy was already in the terminal. The only passenger. He boarded within minutes. They were switching runways and we were lucky to be number one on the other side. Otherwise... you know :D

Leg to Providence, RI was short. Somewhere here lives RV with airline instrument panel. Hi Noah I know you are there and I appreciate the help you offered.

We go here. There is another Flash Mob Squadron member based here.

Some heavy metal was chatting on the ground and we were told to make short approach. Well, we did our best and landed long you know why :)

Wow all adults here :eek:

Don't worry kid you will be all right.

And the climax of the trip. VW Tuareg TDI limited edition with all the bells and whistles imaginable. That's his tribal car :)

He went back driving. Poor man. Literally. So much avgas one could buy for that cash :D

I fiddled with bunch of frequencies and finally somehow got to hold-short-line. It's not your average papa mama airport with one seetaf you have to flip the radio a dozen times.

How is my paint job you naked? :D

Pfft. I don't do that much smoke I care about my tires.

After take off I went to Plymouth MA. To check on my good buddy Captain John I've heard he got into a motorcycle accident.

Captain's parish.

Captain John himself with broken rib and three dislodged fingers. He still can do line work.

We locked ourselves in the bunker of Hangar #5 and discussed some plans of heavy importance. Then I left.

Don't tell Captain where I went. I told him I would go home.

I went the other way.

Cool peninsula I've been here before.

Landed at P-town. A blue shirt with a badge appeared on the tarmac out of nowhere. I waved and left. No activity nothing to do for transport security.

It's beautiful around the Cape. If you go low make sure you stay away from National Wildlife Refuge boundaries (dotted on sectionals) otherwise go to 2,000 feet. It's enforced on Cape Cod I've heard.

I knew you had a trick up your sleeve when you left!

:D. CJ

:D How did you know?

... There is a neat airport sandwiched tightly between two controlled airspaces.

Cape Cod 2B1. Amazing place reminds me Stanley of NS.

Lots of runways but 99% of them are not suitable for average RV flyers especially those with third wheel at the front. I did some work after touch down. Sweatshop.

Duggy's twin.

Got out checked facilities and was glad to be back in the airspace. Mighty PAWS looked very impressive from low level.

Last edited:
Flight back was soothing.

Passed Vineyards of Martha

place where Mitch lives and builds his RV12

shattered rainbow over No Man's Land

to the Island of Block.

From the Island of Block to Long Island.

Sunset over New York. My buddy is still driving...

20 minutes after I landed he sent me a message - safely home in his Tuareg. What a day! And only Saturday there is another day off tomorrow!
I don't know where I go.

You may have noticed the sheet of prescription pad taped to the kamikazi-erator in my hangar...

"More beer, more often."

-Dr. Warren Pietsch.

Knit up soon!

Back