What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear rudder pedals

Chino Tom

Well Known Member
Patron
Several months back, there was a rear pedal thread on the pros and cons etc. I had purchased the rear pedal kit from Van's and had started to install it. Chuck Miller (who had built an 8A which is now in Ausy land) came up with alternative to Van's kit. The purpose to do this was far less parts and wanting a map storage area on the right side at the forward console. With Vans rear pedal kit, you have to use the console cover supplied with the fuse kit because of its clearance issues. I don't proclaim for this to be as good as Van's set up from an engineering standpoint, but will work for me. I have the ground adjustable pedals, this would not work with the inflight adjustables (unless you don't adjust inflight with the rear pedals installed. For me, the rear pedals will not be installed the majority of the time. The brackets are from Van's rear pedal kit and are attacked with #8 screws and nutplates per kit plans. I drilled an additional hole in the rudder pedal assembly 1/2 inch above the holes where the cables are attached to. Parts used were 4130 tubing (3/8 O.D, .209 I.D), drilled and tapped for a 1/4-28 AN161-22L fork on one end and a AN970-6 area washer welded (thank you Jerry Scott) to the other end. The right assembly needs a bend to clear the forward right side baggage compartment wall. Just an idea.

slog002jq8.jpg

slog003ie1.jpg

Having bent my Vans ones that are much shorter, I would not be surprised to see yours also bend. Stomping on them causes quite a bit of flexing.

Last edited:
You might be right. The wall thickness of Van's are .035 where as these are .083 (except where drilled and tapped). And may have a issue with the fork, we'll see someday!

Regards,

Tom

Last edited:
rear rudder pedals

We installed rear rudder pedals as per instructions and they work fine it wasn't easy to install them. Getting the swing arms was a challange but they worked fine had to do a little grinding but they went in.Ours had swing arms that joined the pedals to the buckels where the rudder cables joined the extensions from the rudder pedals your picture shows direct to the pedals these are not the same as for our 8a mabey yours are from an 8 check. Idler arms bolted to longerons under both side panels under the gauges mounted there.

cyril

Last edited:
Back