What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gotta Love Mile-Stones during the build!!!

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
This may not be a huge mile-stone but my -7 wing panels are finally free of the wing stands / jigs after 300+ hours of work. It feels so awesome to have the first "bigger" pieces floating around my shop. I could not be happier with how well the top skins came out. We used a mushroom set & bucking bar method & low gun pressure while riveting the top skins & they came out absolutely flat & looks like a mirror. :D A big thanks goes out to fellow RV -10 builders / bucking partners Bill & Gordon!!!

My wife called this "you're downstairs doing that pick it up/put it down thing again aren't you?"

What this meant was I had just finished some part or subassembly (elevator, seat back, etc...) and I kept dropping by the basement to check on my work...

Good times!

Congratulations Daniel! Getting the top wing skins final riveted has been the biggest milestone so far, though I took significantly north of 300 hours to get there. Closing fuel tanks was a close second, but I won't consider them DONE until I see them hold fuel...

moving along...

wow Dan, you're really moving along.

you gonna be ready to fly it to OSH? lol

Miles-
I actually just crossed the 500 hour point. I'm actually pretty slow but this might clarify my 300+ hours quote.

- Emp 178 hours with Fiberglass & electrical
- Tanks 164 hours
- Actual wing work (excluding the tanks) 158 hours
- combines tank & wing work about 320 hours

Builders Grin

Much is made of the famous RV Grin, once you start flying. In my case, I had many milestone days like this that put a builders Grin on my face. Well done. Keep up the good work. One day it will all be done and you get to go fly.

Daniel, I wouldn't call you slow... I'm pushing 900 hours and I'm still working on building bulkheads for the fuselage. And then there's those little matters of re-skinning the left elevator & trim tab, and not having skinned the bottoms of the wings yet... (Conduit/wiring decisions, and an issue with the roll servo bracket).

Back