What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tying the Tail Down

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
One of the problems with a tail wheel is how to tie it down. Usually you wrap the rope around the upright spindle, around the tail fork, or combinations of both.
I couple of years ago I welded a small "loop" on the back of the steering arm and it has proven to be very handy. Wayne Hadath, The Rocket Tail Link steering arm, has improved on my idea and made it a standard on all new steering arms.
fz8zt3.jpg

As an ADDED bonus, if you are the kind of guy that can build an airplane, you can make a push/pull handle to move your airplane around WITHOUT PUSHING ON THE TAIL!!!
fa0g9c.jpg

I call it a hockey stick tow bar. Weld or bolt a stub to the bottom. I cut a little notch in the bolt that engages the loop on the steering arm
2irckm.jpg

This thread is sponsored by Rivet the Lab and her friend Buck the stray cat
2s9t4bc.jpg

contact Vince Frazier at Screaming Eagle or Wayne Hadath at Just Plane Parts

I feel obligated to admit that I was given a steering arm for the idea.

That looks like a very nice fairing. But I don't quite see how the wheel steers. In the photo, it looks as if the fairing over the strut prevents the wheel fairing from rotating. Can you post another photo showing the wheel at an angle? -- Thanks!

And thanks for mentioning the gift, too.

Dave

That looks like a very nice fairing. But I don't quite see how the wheel steers. In the photo, it looks as if the fairing over the strut prevents the wheel fairing from rotating. Can you post another photo showing the wheel at an angle? -- Thanks!

The third photo shows the break between the two. It's the photo that shows the bottom of the hockey stick pull bar in the tie-down loop.

Tom one thing I learned from my SNF experience is to never tie the tail down with the anchor point some distance aft of the tailwheel. I tied my RV-6 down that way when the tornado came thru and there was ample evidence that the tail was raised and lowered pretty violently, enough to smash the bottom of the fuselage. If I can help it I now put the tie down below the tailwheel spring and scoot the tail back into position and tie it down such the tail cannot move vertically.

...If I can help it I now put the tie down below the tailwheel spring and scoot the tail back into position and tie it down such the tail cannot move vertically.
And make sure the rudder is either restrained (better) or the whole rudder-steering assy centered to keep it from flopping around.

Tom one thing I learned from my SNF experience is to never tie the tail down with the anchor point some distance aft of the tailwheel. I tied my RV-6 down that way when the tornado came thru and there was ample evidence that the tail was raised and lowered pretty violently, enough to smash the bottom of the fuselage. If I can help it I now put the tie down below the tailwheel spring and scoot the tail back into position and tie it down such the tail cannot move vertically.

Yep, Pooner. Gotta get that tailwheel tied down properly!

2i9s7l4.jpg

Sleepy

After the great SNF tornado experience I found that most of the damage to the airplane was from not tying the tailwheel down as well as it ought to be, not from Sleepy's -3. Look at the elevator counterweights, that is from the extreme G forces from the tail weathervaning. I had the stick secured aft with the pilots side seatbelt.

Last edited:
Bob
Good points about tied down location. Typically I put the tie down as close as I can to the tail wheel. In the past I have done this simply to keep people from tripping over the rope. Now you have given me another reason. Placing the tie-down right beside the "loop" on the back of the new steering arm should give you the best of both worlds. It might even lower the possibility of the tail wheel turning and releasing the rudder, which can quickly destroy the rudder if a significant tail wind catches it.

Back